|2020 №12 (05)||DOI of Article
|2020 №12 (07)|
Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #12, 2020, pp. 44-51
Corrosion and mechanical durability of welded joints of aluminum alloy V1341, produced by argon-arc welding by free and constricted arc
L.I. Nyrkova, T.M. Labur, S.O. Osadchuk, M.R. Yavorska
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine. 11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
The paper presents the results of studies of corrosion and mechanical resistance of welded joints of V1341 alloy of 1.2 mm thickness, depending on the technology of manual argon arc welding with free and constricted arc. The strength coefficient of welded joints is 0.79 and 0.8, respectively. Potentiometric measurements showed an electrochemical heterogeneity between the base metal and welded joints obtained by free and constricted arc; with a potential difference equal to 100 mV and 86 mV, respectively. More positive potential is inherent to the region with a smaller weld area, which is safe for operation. Accelerated corrosion tests have determined that the shape of the arc column in manual welding does not affect the resistance of welded joints against exfoliating corrosion and against corrosion-mechanical breaking under conditions of constant deformation. The level of resistance of the base metal against exfoliating corrosion of the joints, produced by both types of arc welding technology, was estimated by number 2-3. The fracture time of specimens of the joints produced by free arc welding, decreased on average to 20 days compared to the base metal (73 days). Similar results were obtained for joints welded by a constricted arc. At the same time, it was found that using of a constricted arc for welding causes a lowering of the resistance of the joints against intergranular corrosion. The maximum breaking depth of grain boundaries for joints produced by a free arc is 0.350 mm, and for the joints made by a constricted arc it is 0.460 mm. 15 Ref., 3 Tabl., 11 Fig.
Keywords: aluminum alloy, free and constricted arc welding, welded joint, mechanical properties, structure, intergranular corrosion, exfoliating corrosion, corrosion under constant deformation, potentiometry, accelerated corrosion tests
References1. Feigenbaum, Yu.M., Dubinsky, S.V.(2013) Influence of accidental operational damage on strength and residual life of aircraft structures. Nauchny Vestnik MGTU GA, 187, 83–91 [in Russian].
2. Krivov, G.A., Ryabov, V.R., Ishchenko, A.Ya. et al. (1998) Welding in aircraft construction. Moscow, MIIVTs [in Russian].
3. Ishchenko, A.Ya., Labur, T.M. (2013) Welding of modern structures from aluminium alloys. Kyiv, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
4. Ovchinnikov, V.V., Grushko, O.E. (2005) High tech welded aluminium alloy V1341 of Al-Mg-Si system. Mashinostroenie i Inzhenernoe Obrazovanie, 3, 4, 2-11 [in Russian].
5. J. Zheng, B., Wang, Q. (1993) lv he jin deng li zi hu li han chuan kong rong chi wen ding jian li tiao jian. Transact. of the Chine Welding Inst., 3, 164–171.
6. Martinez, L.F., Marques, R.E, Mcclure, J.C., Nunes, A.C. (1992) Front side keyhole detection in aluminum alloys. Welding J., 71, 5, 49–52.
7. Norlin, A. (2000) A century of aluminium – a product of the future. Svetsaren, 2, 2, 31–33.
8. Albert, D. (1993) Aluminium alloys in arc welded constructions. Welding World Magazine, 32, 3, 97–114.
9. GOST 10157-79: Gaseous and liquid argon. Specifications. Moscow, Izd-vo Standartov [in Russian].
10. Koval, V.A., Labur, T.M., Yavorska, T.R. (2020) Properties of joints of V1341T grade alloy under conditions of TIG welding. The Paton Welding J., 2, 35-40. https://doi.org/10.37434/tpwj2020.02.07.
11. GOST 1497-84: Metals. Test methods on tension. Moscow, Izd-vo Standartov [in Russian].
12. GOST 6996-66: Welded joints. Methods of mechanical properties determination. Ibid. [in Russian].
13. GOST 9.021-74: United system of corrosion and ageing protection. Aluminium and aluminium alloys. Methods of accelerated tests for interctystalline corrosion. Ibid. [in Russian].
14. GOST 9.904-83: United system of corrosion and ageing protection. Aluminium alloys. Methods of accelerated tests for layer corrosion. Ibid. [in Russian].
15. GOST 9.019-74: United system of corrosion and ageing protection. Aluminium and magnesium alloys. Methods of accelerated tests for corrosion cracking. Ibid. [in Russian].