The Paton Welding Journal, 2011, #5, 2-7 pages
HEATING AND MELTING OF ANODE WIRE IN PLASMA ARC SPRAYING
M.Yu. KHARLAMOV1, I.V. KRIVTSUN2, V.N. KORZHIK2 and S.V. PETROV2
East Ukraine V. Dal National University, Lugansk, Ukraine
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
Suggested is a mathematical model describing the thermal state of a solid metal wire used as anode in plasma arc spraying of coatings. Contribution of different heat sources to the energy balance of the spraying wire is numerically investigated. The effect of spraying parameters on the distribution of temperature in the wire, melting and evaporation of its material is analysed.
plasma arc spraying, coatings, anode metal wire, thermal state, energy balance, spraying, melting and evaporation conditions
1. Kudinov, V.V., Bobrov, G.V. (1992) Spraying deposition of coatings. Theory, technology and equipment. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
2. Rykalin, N.N. (1951) Calculations of thermal processes in welding. Moscow: Mashgiz.
3. Sanyal, S., Chandra, S., Kumar, S. et al. (2004) An improved model of cored wire injection in steel melts. ISIJ Int., 44(7), 1157-1166.
4. Hu, J., Tsai, H.L. (2007) Heat and mass transfer in gas metal arc welding. Pt 1: The arc. Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer, 50, 833-846.
5. Hu, J., Tsai, H.L. (2007) Heat and mass transfer in gas metal arc welding. Pt 2: The metal. Ibid., 50, 808-820.
6. Kharlamov, M.Yu., Krivtsun, I.V., Korzhik, V.N. et al. (2007) Mathematical model of arc plasma generated by plasmatron with anode wire. The Paton Welding J., 12, 9-14.
7. Yudaev, B.N. (1988) Technical thermodynamics. Heat transfer: Manual for non-energy production higher techn. institutions. Moscow: Vysshaya Shkola.
8. Dresvin, S.V., Donskoj, A.V., Goldfarb, V.M. et al. (1972) Physics and engineering of low-temperature plasma. Ed. by S.V. Dresvin. Moscow: Atomizdat.
9. Knight, Ch.J. (1979) Theoretical modeling of rapid surface vaporization with back pressure. AIAA J., 17(5), 519-523.
10. Nemchinsky, V.A. (1994) Plasma parameters near a small anode in a high-pressure arc (gas metal arc welding). J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., 27, 2515-2521.
11. Samarsky, A.A., Vabishchevich, P.N. (2003) Computational heat transfer. Moscow: Editorial URSS.
12. Anderson, D., Tannehill, J., Pletcher, P. (1990) Computational hydromechanics and heat exchange. Vol. 1. Moscow: Mir.