The Paton Welding Journal, 2016, #5-6, 17-23 pages
Technology and equipment for resistance butt welding of large-section parts of dissimilar steels
S.I. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, A.A. Nakonechny, I.V. Zyakhor, S.V. Chernobaj And M.S. Zavertanny
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The resistance butt welding finds new areas of application. The aim of the work is the development of technology for RBW of T-joints of rods and eyelets of hydraulic cylinders of dissimilar steels 45 and 17GS in the range of diameters from 16 to 60 mm. The tasks of investigations were the selection of optimal technological scheme of RBW process of large cross-section parts, testing of technological methods, providing localization of heating and deformation of metal in the contact zone. The RBW process and the structure of joints of these dissimilar steels produced with preliminary preparation of welded edges and using the composite inserts were investigated. It was found that in RBW of T-joints of steels 45 and 17GS with optimum preparation of welded edges and programmable change in welding force at the stage of heating it is succeeded to localize the heat generation in welding zone, to avoid the formation of defects and to provide the high mechanical properties of welded joints. During mechanical tests of welded rods on bending the fracture occurs in the base metal of the rod. The technology for RBW of T-joints of dissimilar steels using the composite inserts was developed. The technology of RBW of rods of hydraulic cylinders of 16–60 mm diameter was realized in specialized welding machine K1040, designed and manufactured at the PWI. 14 Ref., 15 Figures.
resistance butt welding, T-joint, hydraulic cylinder rod, dissimilar steels, welded joint, preparation of edges, composite insert
- Sakhatsky, G.P. (1963) Investigation of flash-butt and resistance welding. Svarka, 10, 26–32.
- Lebedev, V.K., Besprozvanny, I.A., Mirgorod, Yu.A. (1979) Resistance butt welding and inertia friction welding of billets of end metal-cutting tools. Ibid., 8, 39–43.
- Zhang, H., Senkara, J. (2006) Resistance welding fundamentals and applications. Boca Raton.
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, V.S., Shvets, V.I., Sakhatsky, A.G. et al. (2007) Peculiarities of resistance welding of aluminium alloys using nanostructural and aluminium-nickel and aluminium-copper foils. Proizvodstvo, 9, 12–14.
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, V.S., Shvets, V.I., Sakhatsky, A.G. et al. (2009) Features of resistance welding of titanium aluminides using nanolayered aluminium-titanium foils. The Paton Welding J., 3, 11–14.
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Zyakhor, I.V., Chernobaj, S.V. et al. (2015) Structure of g-TiAl joints in resistance butt welding with application of interlayers. Ibid., 9, 5–12. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2015.09.01
- Kharchenko, G.K., Novomlynets, O.O., Fedorchuk, V.E. et (2007) Weldability of new alloys of Al–Cr–Fe–Ti system hardened with nanoquasicrystal particles. Visnyk ChernigivDTU, 30, 55–60.
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Kharchenko, G.K., Zagadarchuk, V.F. et al. (2004) Formation of structure of joints in resistance and flash-butt welding. The Paton Welding J., 2, 13–16.
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Rudenko, P.M., Gavrish, V.S. et al. (2015) Converter of frequency and number of phases for flash-butt welding of rails. Ibid., 7, 38–40. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2015.07.06
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, V.S., Nakonechnyi, A.A., Sakhatskiy, A.G. Method of resistance butt welding corrugated flux-filled metal inserts. Pat. 8,426,762, B2 US. Publ. 23 April, 2013.
- Song, Q., Zhang, W., Bay, N. (2005) An experimental study determines the electrical contact resistance in resistance welding. Welding J., 85(5), 73–76.
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, V.S., Nakonechny, A.A., Gavrish, V.S. et al. (2012) Technology of projection welding of parts of large thicknesses with T-shaped joints. The Paton Welding J., 8, 42–44.
- Lipa, M., Golasek, Ya. (1970) Resistance projecion welding. Kiev: Tekhnika.
- Gilevich, V.A. (1976) Technology and equipment for projection welding. Leningrad: Mashinostroenie.