The Paton Welding Journal, 2016, #5-6, 43-47 pages
Electron beam welding of centrifugal compressor impellers
V.M. Nesterenkov, L.A. Kravchuk And Yu.A. Arkhangelsky
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Nowadays the impellers of centrifugal machines are manufactured by vacuum brazing, arc welding and braze welding. In order to achieve a more perfect production of impellers the technology of electron beam welding of T-joints of the «disc–blade» type as-applied to impellers of centrifugal machines was developed. The investigations on the development of technology for EBW of high-alloy corrosion-resistant steel X3CrNiMo13-4 of austenitic-martensitic class were carried out to create an impeller of the centrifugal compressor with wall thickness of the covering disc of 12, 15, 20 mm and 6 mm thickness of the blade. The optimal power, time and spatial parameters of the electron beam were obtained providing the formation of high-quality welds of a slot type of the required penetration depth. To produce fillets of 2–3 mm radius the joining method between the blade and the covering disc was proposed by melting metallic inserts which were fastened on the both sides of the blade. The impeller of centrifugal compressor, welded according to the developed technology, passed static and dynamic balancing with the subsequent acceleration tests. The developed technology of EBW of impellers can be used in the structures intended for service under the vibration loads. 6 Ref., 14 Figures.
electron beam welding, centrifugal compressor, blades, discs, high-alloy steel, T-joint, high-temperature brazing alloys, fillet, acceleration tests
- Belousov, A.N., Musatkin, N.F., Radko, V.M. (2003) Theory and calculation of aircraft impeller machines. Samara: Samarsky Dom Pechati.
- Laflamme, G., Rugh, J., MacWilliams, S. et al. (2006) Hybrid EBW process joins heavy-duty impellers. Welding J., 1, 44–47.
- Myers, L., Laflamme, G. (2000) Electron beam braze welding of compressor impellers. The Paton Welding J., 8, 53–57.
- 1M/C7.1:2004: Recommended practices for electron beam welding. Miami: AWS.
- Radzievsky, V.N., Gartsunov, Yu.Yu., Tkachenko, G.G. et al. (2001) Specifics of formation of thick-wall T-joint using brazing and fusion welding. Proizvodstvo, 4, 42–46.
- Radzievsky, V.N., Rymar, V.I., Bespalov, V.K. (1991) Vacuum brazing of T-joints with large fillet from metallic powder. Ibid., 8, 5–6.