The Paton Welding Journal, 2011, #1, 28-31 pages
DETACHABILITY OF SLAG CRUST IN ARC WELDING (Review) Part 1. Mechanism of Chemical Adhesion of Slag Crust to Weld Metal
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
The review is dedicated to analysis of existing notions about the mechanism of chemical adhesion of the slag crust to the weld metal in arc welding. An attempt has been made to detail this mechanism, allowing for the available data on the effect on it by phase composition of the slag crust. It is noted that elimination of chemical adhesion of the slag crust to the weld metal can be achieved by selecting the optimal combination of chemical composition of the slag and its oxidising potential.
automatic submerged-arc welding, multipass welding, narrow groove, alloyed steels, slag crust, detachability, chemical adhesion, phase composition, oxidising potential
1. Rabkin, D.M., Gotalsky, Yu.N., Kudelya, E.S. et al. (1950) About detachability of slag crust in automatic submerged-arc welding. Avtomatich. Svarka, 3, 10-27.
2. Podgaetsky, V.V. (1950) Mechanical fixation of slag to weld in automatic welding. Ibid., 6, 30-40.
3. Balandin, G.F., Vasiliev, V.A. (1971) Physical-chemical principles of foundry. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
4. Tsibrik, A.N. (1977) Physical-chemical processes in the metal-mould contact zone. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
5. Litvinova, E.I. (1975) Metal for enameling. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
6. Gotalsky, Yu.N., Stretovich, A.D. (1975) Method for improvement of detachability of the slag crust in austeniticwire electric gas welding. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 9, 22-23.
7. Gotalsky, Yu.N., Stretovich, A.D. (1977) On the mechanism of adhesion of slag crust to weld metal. Ibid., 10, 48-50.
8. Pokhodnya, I.K., Yavdoshchin, I.R., Karmanov, V.I. et al. (1974) Mechanism of adhesion of slag crust to weld surface. Avtomatich. Svarka, 5, 5-9.
9. Wittung, L. (1980) Some physical and chemical properties of welding slags and their influence on slag detachability. In: Proc. of Int. Conf. on Weld Pool Chemistry and Metallurgy (London, Apr. 15-17, 1980), Vol. 1, 83-92.
10. Ershov, A.V., Volobuev, Yu.S., Potapov, N.N. et al. (1983) Refinement of adhesion mechanism of slag crust to deposited metal. Avtomatich. Svarka, 8, 48-50.
11. Volobuev, Yu.S., Ershov, A.V., Potapov, N.N. et al. (1984) Study of slag detachability in anticorrosion surfacing with strip electrode. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 6, 30-32.
12. Pavlov, I.V., Kosenko, A.A., Gurevich, V.I. et al. (1986) Detachability of slag crust from austenitic weld metal. Ibid., 7, 37-38.
13. Mojsov, L.P., Mitryashin, L.L., Burylev, B.P. (1990) Influence of phase composition of slag on its detachability. Avtomatich. Svarka, 9, 70-71.
14. (1967) Oxidation of metals. Vol. 1: Theoretical principles. Ed. by J. Benar. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
15. Pokhodnya, I.K., Karmanov, V.I., Vojtkevich, V.G. (1976) Study of peculiarities of the mechanism of adhesion of the slag crust to the weld metal alloyed with titanium and vanadium. Avtomatich. Svarka, 6, 1-4.
16. Shorshorov, M.Kh., Krasulin, Yu.L. (1967) About the nature of physical and chemical phenomena in welded and soldered joints. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 12, 1-3.
17. Khomenko, N.N., Kotelnikov, D.I. (1978) Preparation of the surface of covar for braze-welding it to glass. Avtomatich. Svarka, 7, 63-65.
18. Bachin, V.A., Kazakov, N.F. (1985) Distribution of elements in the bond zone during diffusion bonding of metals to ceramics and glass. Ibid., 9, 39-41.
19. Volobuev, O.S., Potapov, N.N., Volobuev, Yu.S. et al. (1989) On the problem of influence of temperature linear expansion coefficient on slag crust detachability. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 8, 37-39.
20. Shyumon, P. (1966) Diffusion in solids. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
21. (1983) Metals science and heat treatment of steel. Vol. 2: Principles of heat treatment. Ed. by M.L. Bernshtejn, A.G. Rakhshtatt. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
22. Pokhodnya, I.K., Ustinov, V.G., Karmanov, V.I. et al. (1976) Investigation of the slag-metal interface by secondary ion mass-spectrometry emission method. Avtomatich. Svarka, 5, 16-18.
23. Pokhodnya, I.K., Demchenko, L.I., Yavdoshchin, I.R. et al. (1977) Kinetics of formation of an intermediate layer between the weld metal and slag crust. Ibid., 2, 1-4.