The Paton Welding Journal, 2012, #9, 2-11 pages
FRICTION WELDING OF PIM HEAT-RESISTANT STEEL TO STEEL 40Kh
I.V. Zyakhor and S.I. Kuchuk-Yatsenko
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
Experimental data are given on evaluation of structure of heat-resistant steel AISI310 produced by the powder injection moulding technology. The investigation results are presented on peculiarities of formation of dissimilar joints between steel AISI310 and structural steel 40Kh under different thermal-deformation cycles of friction welding in manufacture of bimetal shafts for automotive engine turbocharger rotors.
friction welding, bimetal joints, powder injection moulding, welded joints, turbocharger rotor shafts
1. Dovydenkov, V.A., Krys, M.A., Fetisov, G.P. (2008) Production of metallic parts by moulding and sintering of metal-polymer compositions. Tekhnologiya Metallov, 6, 28-31.
2. Heaney, D. (2004) Qualification method for powder injection molded components. P/M Sci. & Technology Briefs, 6(3), 21-27.
3. Graboj, I.E., Thom, A. (2005) Materials Catamold of BASF Company for pressure die casting of powders. Technology. Production. Application. In: Proc. of Sci.-Pract. Seminar (Joshkar-Ola, 20-21 June, 2005), 71-74.
4. Salk, N. (2011) Metal injection moulding of Inconel 713C for turbocharger applications. PIM Int., 5(3), 61-64.
5. Froes, F.H. (2007) Advances in titanium metal injection molding. Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, 46(56), 303-310.
6. Hamill, J.A. (1993) What are the joining processes, materials and techniques for powder metal parts? Welding J., Febr., 37-44.
7. Lebedev, V.K., Chernenko, I.A., Vill, V.I. (1987) Friction welding: Refer. Book. Leningrad: Mashinostroenie.
8. (2006) Friction welding. Machine-building: Encyclopedia. Vol. 1-4. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
9. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Zyakhor, I.V. Method of friction welding and machine for its implementation. Pat. 46460 Ukraine. Publ. 15.11.2004.
10. Son, C.-Y., Yoon, T.S., Lee, S. (2009) Correlation of microstructure with hardness, wear resistance and corrosion resistance of powder-injection-molded specimens of Fe-alloy powders. Metallurg. and Mater. Transact. A, 40(5), 1110-1117.
11. Heany, D.F., Mueller, T.J., Davies, P.A. (2003) Mechanical properties of metal injection moulded 316L stainless steel using both prealloy and master alloy techniques. Powder Metallurgy, 1, 1-7.
12. Krug, S., Zachmann, S. (2009) Influence of sintering conditions and furnace technology on chemical and mechanical properties of injection moulded 316L: Tech. Pap. PIM Int., 3(4), 66-70.
13. (1969) Transition joints for high temperature service. Discussion session 3. Metal Construction and British Welding J., 12, 134-142.
14. Gotalsky, Yu.N. (1981) Welding of dissimilar steels. Kiev: Tekhnika.
15. Zalkin, V.M. (1987) Nature of eutectic alloys and effect of contact melting. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
16. Kragelsky, I.V., Dobychin, M.N., Kombalov, V.S. (1977) Principles of friction and wear calculations. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
17. Zyakhor, I.V. (2010) Formation of joints in friction welding of nickel superalloy JS3-DK to structural steel 40Kh. Visnyk Chernigov. DTU, 42, 148-155.
18. Smiyan, O.D. (2002) Atomic mechanism of interaction between ambient material and wrought metal. Fizyka ta Khimiya Tv. Tila, 4, 662-674.
19. Smiyan, O.D., Kruzhkov, A.G. (1972) About some peculiarities of motion of diffusion gas flow in metals. Doklady AN SSSR, 202(6), 1311-1313.
20. Smiyan, O.D., Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Kharchenko, G.K. et al. (2007) Distribution of interstitial impurities within the joining zone in friction welding. The Paton Welding J., 9, 2-5.
21. Smiyan, O.D., Zhyakhor, I.V., Nikolnikov, O.V. et al. (2008) Distribution and effect of hydrogen, oxygen and carbon in the joining zone of nickel superalloy in friction welding. Visnyk Chernigov. DTU, 34, 138-143.
22. Voinov, V.P., Boldyrev, R.N., Mulyukov, K.I. et al. (1976) Pulse friction welding of alloy JS6-K to steel 40G. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 3, 28-30.
23. Zyakhor, I.V. (2000) Peculiarities of friction welding of dissimilar metals and alloys. The Paton Welding J., 5, 36-44.
24. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Zyakhor, I.V. (2002) Mechanism of bimetal joints formation in friction welding. Ibid., 7, 2-9.