TPWJ, 2016, #3, 12-17 pages
Improvement of cyclic fatigue life of tee welded joints by high-frequency mechanical peening under the conditions of higher humidity and temperature
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 3, 2016 (March)
V.V. Knysh, S.A. Solovej, L.I. Nyrkova, L.G. Shitova And A.A. Rybakov
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU. 11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
The study provides experimental evidence of effectiveness of application of high-frequency mechanical peening (HFMP) to improve the fatigue resistance characteristics of tee welded joints in metal structures, which operate under moderate climatic conditions. Corrosion damage characteristic for such structures after long-term service was achieved by soaking the welded joint in G4 humidity chamber at increased humidity and temperature for 1200 h. Metallographic studies were performed of the weld zone and HAZ in as-welded (unstrengthened) and HFMP-strengthened states before and after corrosive medium impact. It is established that as a result of HFMP strengthening, the joint resistance to the impact of higher humidity and temperature becomes higher. Fatigue tests of welded joints in the initial and strengthened states before and after soaking in the humidity chamber were performed. It is found that strengthening by HFMP technology before the corrosive impact allows increasing the limited endurance limit, based on 2•106
cycles, of tee welded joints by 48 % and increasing the cyclic fatigue life 6–8 times. 12 Ref., 1 Table, 7 Figures.
tee welded joint, corrosive medium, fatigue, high-frequency mechanical peening, ultrasonic impact treatment, improvement of corrosion fatigue resistance
- Kulekci, M.K., Esme, U. (2014) Critical analysis of processes and apparatus for industrial surface peening technologies. J. Advanced Manufact. Techn., 74(9), 1551–1565. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-014-6088-9
- Pokhmursky, V.I., Khoma, M.S. (2008) Corrosion fatigue of metals and alloys. Lviv: SPOLOM.
- Kolomijtsev, E.V., Serenko, A.N. (1990) Effect of ultrasonic and laser treatment on fatigue resistance of butt welded joints in air and corrosion media. Svarka, 11, 13–15.
- Nasilowska, B., Bogdanowicz, Z., Wojucki, M. (2015) Shot peening effect on 904L welds corrosion resistance. Constr. Steel Res., Vol. 115, 276–282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.08.041
- Ahmed, A.A., Mhaede, M., Wollmann, M. et al. (2014) Effect of surface and bulk plastic deformations on the corrosion resistance and corrosion fatigue performance of AISI 316L steel. Surface & Coating Techn., Vol. 259, 448–455. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2014.10.052
- Lee Hang-sang, Kim Doo-soo, Jung June-sung et al. (2009) Influence of peening on the corrosion properties of AISI 304 stainless steel. Corrosion Sci., Vol. 51, 2826–2830. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2009.08.008
- Knysh, V.V., Valteris, I.I., Kuzmenko, A.Z. et al. (2008) Corrosion fatigue resistance of welded joints strengthened by high-frequency mechanical peening. The Paton Welding J., 4, 2–4.
- Kolomijtsev, E.V. (2012) Corrosion-fatigue strength of 12Kh18N10T steel T-joints and methods of its improvement. Ibid., 12, 36–38.
- Mordyuk, B.N., Prokopenko, G.I., Vasylyev, M.A. et al. (2007) Effect of structure evolution induced by ultrasonic peening on the corrosion behavior of AISI-321 stainless steel. Sci. and Eng. A, Vol. 458, 253–261. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2006.12.049
- Hashemi, B., Rezaee Yazdi, M., Azar, V. (2011) The wear and corrosion resistance of shot-peened nitrided 316L austenitic stainless steel. Materials and Design, 32, 3287–3292. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2011.02.037
- Daavary, M., Sadough Vanini, S.A. (2015) Corrosion fatigue enhancement of welded steel pipes by ultrasonic impact treatment. Lett., Vol. 139, 462–466. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2014.10.141
- Prokopenko, G.I., Mordyuk, B.N., Knysh, V.V. et al. (2014) Improvement of fatigue and corrosion resistance of welded joints by ultrasonic impact treatment and electrical-discharge alloying. Diagnostika i Nerazrush. Kontrol, 3, 34–40.