TPWJ, 2016, #3, 42-48 pages
Development of technology of mechanized arc welding in repair of pressurized main gas pipeline
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 3, 2016 (March)
O.I. Olejnik, S.Yu. Maksimov, A.P. Paltsevich And E.I. Goncharenko
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU. 11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Complex of investigations was carried out on development of a technology of mechanized gas-shielded arc welding applicable to repair of main gas pipelines by reinforcing structures. Determined are the conditions for prevention of pore formation in welded joints due to break of gas shield under effect of wild blast. The tests were made with weld metal of the butt and lap-butt joints, welded using modern flux-cored wires and solid wire Sv-08G2S. Effect of butt joint welding practice on mechanical properties and impact toughness of the weld metal is shown. Influence of factors, determining a risk of cold crack formation in welded joints from X70 strength class low-alloy steel, is investigated. It is determined that Sv-08G2S, E71T-1 and DW-A55 welding wires correspond to the requirements on providing a necessary level of mechanical characteristics and impact toughness of weld metal, content of diffusion hydrogen in deposited metal and can be recommended for further technology approval under conditions of field repair of in-service pipelines. Main recommendations on the welding practice of butt and lap-butt welded joints and approximate modes of welding in different spatial positions are stated. 19 Ref., 6 Tables, 7 Figures.
main gas pipeline, arc welding, welded joints, flux-cored wire, cold cracks, pre-heating, diffusion hydrogen
- GOST 2246–70: Steel welding wire. Specifications. Introd. 01.01.1973. Moscow: Standartinform.
- AWS A5.18: Carbon steel electrodes and rods for gas shielded arc welding. Miami: AWS.
- AWS A5.28: Specification for low-alloy electrodes and rods for gas shielded arc welding. Ibid.
- GOST 26271–84: Flux-cored wire for arc welding of carbon and low-alloy steels. General specifications. Introd. 01.01.1987. Moscow: Gosstandart SSSR.
- AWS A5.36: Specification for carbon and low-alloy steel flux cored electrodes for flux cored arc welding and metal cored electrodes for gas metal arc welding. Miami: AWS.
- Pidgaetsky, V.V. (1970) Pores, inclusions and cracks in welds. Kyiv: Tekhnika.
- Pokhodnya, I.K., Yavdoshchin, I.R., Paltsevich, A.P. et al. (2004) Metallurgy of arc welding. Interaction of metals with gases. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
- Novozhilov, N.M. (1979) Principles of metallurgy of gas arc welding. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
- Pokhodnya, I.K., Suptel, A.M., Shlepakov, V.N. (1972) Flux-cored wire welding. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
- STO Gazprom 2-2.2-136–2007: Instruction on welding technologies in construction and repair of industrial and main gas pipelines. Pt 1: Welding technology in repair of industrial and main gas pipelines being in service. Introd. 22.09.2007.
- ESAB Reference book on welding: All position flux-cored wires for non-alloy and low-alloy steels.
- Makarov, E.L. (1981) Cold cracks in welding of alloy steels. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
- Makhnenko, V.I. (2006) Safety service life of welded joints and assemblies of modern structures. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
- GBN V.3.1-00013741-12:2011: Main pipelines. Repair by arc welding in service conditions. Valid from 06.09.2011. Kyiv: Ministry of Energy and Coal Industry of Ukraine.
- (1967) Testing of metals: Transact. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
- But, V.S., Maksimov, S.Yu., Olejnik, O.I. (2014) Cracking susceptibility of welded joints in repair structures on main gas pipelines. The Paton Welding J., 11, 15–23. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2014.11.03
- Bekker, M.V., But, V.S., Govdyak, R.M. et al. (2008) Repair of main pipelines under pressure. Kyiv: Kyj.
- Nikolaev, G.A., Kurkin, S.A., Vinokurov, V.A. (1982) Welded structures. Strength of welded joints and deformation of structures. Moscow: Vysshaya Shkola.
- GOST 23338–91: Welding of metals. Methods for analysis of diffusion hydrogen content in deposited and weld metal. 01.07.1992. Moscow: Gosstandart SSSR.