TPWJ, 2016, #5-6, 68-74 pages
Application of friction stir method for welding of magnesium alloys and of their structure modifying
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 5-6, 2016 (May-June)
A.L. Majstrenko1, V.A. Lukash1, S.D. Zabolotny1 and R.V. Strashko2
V.N. Bakul Institute for Superhard Materials, NASU, 2 Avtozavodskaya Str., Kiev, 04074, Ukraine. E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, 11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
A technological process was developed for friction stir processing of surfaces of parts from magnesium and aluminum alloys for structure modification directed on formation of layer of fine-grain alloy structure (grain size 1.2–4.5 mm) that is 16–63 times less than the initial metal grain size (75.8 mm). It is determined that the maximum temperature of alloy heating in zone of contact interaction of a tool with FS-processed layers of the samples from researched alloys has reached 340–380 °C. Analysis of effect of kinetic parameters of the tool on change of microstructure of modified surface layers of the parts and welded joints was carried out. 18 Ref., 11 Figures, 3 Tables.
friction stir welding, heat generation at fruction stir process, plastic deformations, width of thermomechanical-affected zone, microstructure grain size
- Bevington, J.H. Spinning tubes. Pat. 444721 US. Pat. 13.01.1891.
- Khrenov, K.K., Sakhatsky, G.P. Method of cold butt welding of metal products. USSR author’s cert. 97024. Fill. 20.07.53.
- Chudikov, A.I. Method of butt welding. USSR author’s cert. 106270. Int. Cl. B23k 20/12. Publ. 1957.
- Kabanov, N.N., Averin, I.V. Method of friction butt welding of dissimilar metals. USSR author’s cert. 126732. Fill. 03.06.59. Publ. 01.01.60.
- Thomas, W.M., Nicholas, E.D., Needham, J.C. et al. Friction stir butt welding. Pat. 9125978.8 GB; 5460317 USA. PCT/92/02203.
- Poklyatsky, A.G., Ishchenko, A.Ya., Yavorskaya, M.R. (2007) Strength of joints on sheet aluminium alloys produced by friction stir welding. The Paton Welding J., 9, 42–45.
- Zelenin, V.I., Poleshchuk, M.A., Zelenin, E.V. et al. (2010) Repair of plates of continuous casting copper molds by friction stir surfacing. In: Rock cutting and metal-working tool — technique and technology of its manufacturing and application, Issue 13, 476–479.
- (2013) Development of design and manufacturing technology of tool for friction stir welding of alloys based on Cr, Ni, Co. Manufacturing of tool prototypes and realization of laboratory experiments on nature of their wear and fracture during operation: Report of works on agreement P7.5.2. Kyiv: ISM.
- (2014) Development of friction stir welding tools from superhard materials designed for manufacturing and restoration of life of aluminium and magnesium alloys: Report of works on agreement P8.6.1. Kyiv: ISM.
- Majstrenko, A.L., Nesterenkov, V.M., Dutka, V.A. et al. (2015) Modeling of heat processes for improvement of structure of metals and alloys by friction stir method. The Paton Welding J., 1, 2–10.
- Rai, R., De, A., Bhadeshia, H.K.D.H. (2011) Review: Friction stir welding tools. and Tech. of Welding and Joining, Vol. 16, 325–342. https://doi.org/10.1179/1362171811Y.0000000023
- Mironov, S.Yu. (2014) Formation of grain structure in friction stir welding. Mezomekhanika, Issue 17, 103–113.
- Lee, J.A., Carter, R.W., Ding, J. (1999) Friction stir welding for aluminium metal matrix composites (MMC’s): MSFC Center Director’s Discret Fund. Final Report TM-1999-209876. NASA.
- Shtrickman, M.M. (2007) State and development of friction welding process of linear joints (Review). Proizvodstvo, 10, 25–32.
- Grant, G., Weil, S. (2011) Joining technologies for coal power applications. In: Advanced Res. Materials Program: Rev. Meet. Proc. (Portland, Apr. 26–28, 2011).
- Nesterenkov, V.M., Majstrenko, A.L., Lukash, V.A. et al. (2013) Possibilities of modification of light alloys structure by stir friction. In: of Int. Sci.-Techn. Conf. on New and Unconventional Technologies in Resource and Energy Savings (22–24 May 2013, Odessa, Ukraine), 117–120.
- Kolobnev, I.F., Krymov, V.V., Melnikov, A.V. (1974) Reference book of founder. Nonferrous castings. 2nd Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
- Portnoj, K.I., Lebedev, A.A. (1952) Magnesium alloys: Refer. Moscow: Metallurgizdat.