TPWJ, 2017, #4, 14-18 pages
Application of high-frequency peening to improve the performance of butt welded joints in the atmosphere of temperate climate
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #4, 2017 (April)
V.V. Knysh, S.A. Solovej, V.I. Kyrian, L.I. Nyrkova and S.A. Osadchuk
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The paper presents the results of investigations of the effectiveness of application of high-frequency mechanical peening (HFMP) to improve fatigue resistance characteristics of butt welded joints in metal structures operating in an atmosphere of temperate climate. Metallographic studies showed that HFMP treatment of fusion zone in butt welded joint of 15KhSND steel before exposure to high humidity conditions promoted an improvement of corrosion resistance of this zone: reduction of corrosion pit depth and of extent of HAZ damage from 100 % practically to 0. Fatigue testing of welded joints in the initial and HFMP strengthened states was performed before and after exposure to high humidity and temperature. It is found that HFMP strengthening of butt welded joints of 15KhSND steel before exposure allows increasing fatigue strength at 2•106
cycles by 39 % and cyclic fatigue life up to 9 times. 16 Ref., 2 Tables, 5 Figures.
butt welded joint, fatigue, high-frequency mechanical peening, high humidity
- Tkachev, V.N. et al. (1971) Methods of improvement of service life of machine parts. Moscow: Mashinostroenie. Pokhmursky, V.I., Khoma, M.S. (2008) Corrosion fatigue of metals and alloys. Lviv: SPOLOM.
- Kolomijtsev, E.V. (2012) Corrosion-fatigue strength of 12Kh18N10T steel T-joints and methods of its improvement. The Paton Welding J., 12, 36–38.
- Hashemi, B., Rezaee Yazdi,M., Azar, V. (2011) The wear and corrosion resistance of shot peened-nitride 316L austenitic stainless steel. Materials & Design, 32, 3287–3292. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2011.02.037
- Harati, E. et al. (2016) Effect of high frequency mechanical impact treatment on fatigue strength of welded 1300 MPa yield strength steel. J. of Fatigue, 92, 96–106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2016.06.019
- Panin, V.E., Kablov, E.N., Pleshanov, V.S. (2006) Effect of ultrasonic impact treatment on structure and fatigue resistance of welded joints of high-strength steel VKS-12. Fizicheskaya Mezomekhanika, 2, 85–96.
- Feng, Y. et al. (2016) Influence of surface topography and needle size on surface quality of steel plates treated by ultrasonic peening. Vacuum, 132, 22–30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vacuum.2016.07.021
- Yang, X., Ling, X., Zhou, J. (2014) Optimization of the fatigue resistance of AISI304 stainless steel by ultrasonic impact treatment. J. of Fatigue, 61(4), 28–38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2013.12.003
- Daavari, M., Sadough Vanini, S.A. (2015) Corrosion fatigue enhancement of welded steel pipes by ultrasonic impact treatment. Materials Letters, 139, 462–466. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2014.10.141
- Kolomijtsev, E.V., Serenko, A.N. (1990) Influence of ultrasonic and laser treatment on fatigue resistance of butt welded joints in air and corrosive environment. Svarka, 11, 13–15.
- Gao, W. et al. (2015) Enhancement of the fatigue strength of underwater wet welds by grinding and ultrasonic impact treatment. Materials Proc. Technology, 223, 305–312.
- Knysh, V.V., Valteris, I.I., Kuzmenko, A.Z. et al. (2008) Corrosion fatigue resistance of welded joints strengthened by high-frequency mechanical peening. The Paton Welding J., 4, 2–4.
- Ahmad, B., Fitzpatrick, M.E. (2015) Effect of ultrasonic peening and accelerated corrosion exposure on residual stress distribution in welded marine steel. and Mater. Transact. A, 46, 1214–1226.
- Knysh, V.V., Solovej, S.A., Nyrkova, L.I. et al. (2016) Influence of corrosion damage on cyclic fatigue life of tee welded joints treated by high-frequency mechanical peening. The Paton Welding J., 9, 42–46. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.09.09
- Fan, Y., Zhao, X., Liu, Y. (2016) Research on fatigue behavior of the flash welded joint enhanced by ultrasonic peening treatment. Materials & Design, 94, 515–522. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2016.01.070
- Kyryan, V.I., Rybakov, A.O. (2016) To establish the mechanisms of improvement of corrosion and fatigue resistance of pipeline and bridge structure welded joints by high-frequency peening: Final report on R&D, PWI, Vol. 2.