TPWJ, 2017, #4, 39-43 pages
Influence of temperature of heating in vacuum on behaviour of oxide film on the surface of g-tial intermetallic alloy
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #4, 2017 (April)
Yu.V. Falchenko, L.V. Petrushinets and V.E. Fedorchuk
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
The paper deals with the influence of temperature of heating in vacuum and soaking time on oxide film recovery on the surface of g-TiAl intermetallic alloy. Analysis of publications on diffusion welding of titanium aluminides showed a considerable scatter of parameters in welding modes recommended by the authors (temperature, pressure and process time). Influence of concentration of oxygen contained in oxide layer on contact surfaces of samples, on their adhesion during heating in vacuum was analyzed. It is experimentally established that with increase of the temperature of heating pre-oxidized samples of titanium aluminide from 900 up to 1200 °C, the nature of surface relief in the contact zone changes from flat to voluminous one. It is found that heating of oxidized samples of g-TiAl intermetallic alloy under vacuum at 1200 °C for 20 min at 5 MPa pressure allows reducing oxygen content in the butt joint 5 times from 40.99 to 6.12–7.74 wt.%. 18 Ref., 2 Tables, 7 Figures.
g-TiAl intermetallic alloy, oxide, vacuum, heating temperature
- Ustinov, A.I. et al. (2008) Diffusion welding of g-TiAl based alloys through nanolayered foil of Ti/Al system. Intermetallics, 16(8), 1043–1045. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intermet.2008.05.002
- Kharchenko, G.K., Falchenko, Yu.V., Petrushinets, L.V. (2012) Diffusion welding in vacuum of intermetallic g-TiAl alloy with VT8 titanium alloy. Visnyk ChDTU. Tekhnichni Nauki, 1, 131–135.
- Godfrey, S.P., Threadgill, P.L., Strangwood, M.S. (1993) High temperature phase transformation kinetics and their effects on diffusion bonding of Ti48Al–2Mn–2Nb. de Physique IV, 3(11), 485–488.
- Bohm, K.-H., Cam, G., Kocak, M. (1997) Charakterisierung diffusionsgeschweisster Titanaluminide. Schweissen und Schneiden, 9, 660–671.
- Cam, G., Bohm, K.-H., Kocak, M. (1999) Diffusionsschweissen feingegossener Titanaluminide. Ibid., 8, 470–475.
- Nakao, Y., Shinozaki, K., Hamada, M. (1991) Diffusion bonding of intermetallic compound TiAl. ISIJ Int., 31(10), 1260–1266. https://doi.org/10.2355/isijinternational.31.1260
- Yushtin, A.N., Zamkov, V.N., Sabokar, V.K. et al. (2001) Pressure welding of intermetallic alloy g-TiAl. The Paton Welding J., 1, 33–37.
- Karakozov, E.S. et al. (1977) Diffusion welding of titanium. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I. et al. (1998) Self-cleaning from oxides of abutted surfaces in solid phase welding with heating (Analytical review). Svarka, 2, 16–23.
- Peshkov, V.V., Kholodov, V.P. (1985) Kinetics of oxide films dissolution in titanium during diffusion welding. Proizvodstvo, 4, 35–37.
- Bondar, A.V. et al. (1998) Diffusion welding of titanium and its alloys. Voronezh: VGU.
- Fishgojt, L.A., Meshkov, L.L. (1990) Corrosion-electrochemical properties of intermetallics of titanium-aluminium system. Vestnik MGU. Ser. 2. Khimiya, 40(6), 369–372.
- Malecka, J. (2013) The surface layer degradation of g-TiAl phase based alloy. of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering, 58(5), 31–37.
- Milman, Yu.V. et al. (2012) Influence of alloying on heat resistance of aluminium intermetallics based alloy of Al–Ti–Cr system with L12 type structure. Dopovidi NANU, 4, 87–93.
- Chu, M.S., Wu, S.K. (2004) Improvement in the oxidation resistance of ?2–Ti3Al by sputtering Al film and subsequent interdiffusion treatment. Surface and Coating Technology, 179, 257–264. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0257-8972(03)00819-3
- Wu Xiang-qing et al. (2010) Effects of additives on corrosion and wear resistance of micro-arc oxidation coatings on TiAl alloy. of Nonferrous Met. Soc. China, 20, 1032–1036.
- Solntsev, K.A. et al. (2008) Specifics of titanium oxidation kinetics in producing of rutile by oxidizing design of thin-wall ceramics. Neorganicheskie Materialy, 44(8), 969–975.
- Pogrebnyak, A.D. et al. (2008) Structure and properties of coatings produced by electroplating-plasma oxidation on substrate of Al–Cu and Al–Mg alloys. Fizicheskaya Inzheneriya Poverkhnosti, 6(1/2), 43–50.