TPWJ, 2017, #10, 24-30 pages
Modeling thermomechanical processes in welding high-tech plastics with embedded element
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #10, 2017 (October)
R.V. Kolesnik, M.V. Yurzhenko, N.G. Korab, A.A. Shadrin and Yu.V. Litvinenko
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Heat-resistant polymers are ever wider applied in aerospace, automotive and other industries. For the process of thermopastics welding it is important to study temperature distribution inside the overlap welded joint. In this work thermal and deformation processes in welding with embedded element of sheet samples from high-tech heat-resistant polymer ZEDEX ZX-410 based on polyetherimide, were modeled. Melting temperature and polymer material destruction temperature were the criteria for optimization of process parameters. Good correlation is shown for modeling results and experimental data obtained both from thermal studies of the process of welded joints formation, and mechanical testing of the formed welded joints. 9 Ref., 12 Figures.
welding with embedded element, high-tech polymers, modeling, testing
- Jakobsen, T.B., Don, R.C., Gillespie, Jr. J.W. (1989) Two-dimensional thermal analysis of resistance welded thermoplastic composites. Polymer Eng. and Sci., 29(23), 1722–1729. https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.760292314
- Ageorges, C., Ye, L., Mai, Y.-W. et al. (1998) Characteristics of resistance welding of lap shear coupons. Pt 1. Heat transfer. Composites Part A, 29, 899–909. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-835X(98)00022-0
- Colac, Z.S., Sonmez, F.O., Kalenderoglu, V. (2002) Process modeling and optimization of resistance welding for thermoplastic composites. of Composite Materials, 36(6), 721–744. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998302036006507
- Yousefpour, A., Simard, M., Octeau, M.-A. et al. (2005) Process optimization of resistance-welded thermoplastic composites using metal mesh heating elements. In: of SAMPE (USA, Long Beach).
- Stavrov, D., Nino, G.F., Bersee, H.E.N. et al. (2007) Optimization tool for welding of thermoplastic composites. In: of 16th Int. Conf. on Composite Materials (Japan, Kyoto, Fellow Doshisha University).
- Ibeh, C.C. (2011) Thermoplastic materials: Properties, manufacturing methods and applications. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fl.
- Menczel, J.D., Prime, R.B. (2009) Thermal analysis of polymers: Fundamentals and applications. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, USA.
- Simon, S.L. (1997) Enthalpy recovery of poly(ether imide): Experiment and model calculations incorporating thermal gradients. Macromolecules, 30(14), 4056–4063. https://doi.org/10.1021/ma9614508
- (2007) Principles and applications of thermal analysis. Ed. by P. Gabbott. Wiley, Blackwell Publishing Ltd.