TPWJ, 2017, #10, 39-42 pages
Influence of welding wire composition on weld quality in welded joints of dissimilar steels in gas-shielded mechanized welding
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #10, 2017 (October)
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For welding of dissimilar joints, the high-alloy welding materials are widely used. It is shown that the use of shielded arc mechanized welding method of dissimilar austenitic and pearlitic steels is limited due to formation of defects in the austenitic multilayer weld, such as lacks of fusion and lacks of penetration caused by appearance of a refractory oxide crust on the deposited metal surface. It is possible to increase the weld quality by providing its self-separation from the metal surface in the process of cooling. This is achieved by presence of a high content of such elements as silicon, titanium, zirconium, etc. in the welding wire, which reduce the amount of spinels based on chromium, nickel, molybdenum and others in the composition of oxide crust and increase the amount of brittle glassy phase. 15 Ref., 3 Tables, 1 Figure.
welding wire composition, mechanized arc welding, shielding gas, dissimilar steels, oxide crust, self-separation of crust
- Gotalsky, Yu.N. (1992) Welding of pearlitic steels by austenitic materials. Ed. by K.A. Yushchenko. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
- Sudha, C., Thomac Paul, V., Terrance, A.L. et al. (2006) Microstructure and microchemistry of hard zone in dissimilar weldments of Cr–Mo steels. Welding J., 4, 71–74.
- Snisar, V.V., Lipodaev, V.N., Elagin, V.P. et al. (1990) Influence of parameters of gas shielding in argon arc welding with austenitic wire of dissimilar steels on formation of oxide film on surface of layers of multilayer weld. Svarka, 12, 44–48 [in Russian].
- Gotalsky, Yu.N., Stretovich, A.D. (1971) About slag inclusions in multilayer weld during shielded-gas welding with austenitic wire. Ibid., 12, 39–43 [in Russian].
- Elagin, V.P., Snisar, V.V., Savitsky, M.M. et al. (2001) Chemical and structural inhomogeneity in the zone of fusion of low-carbon steel with austenitic weld during shielded-gas welding. The Paton Welding J., 4, 7–12 [in Russian].
- Snisar, V.V., Lipodaev, V.N., Elagin, V.P. et al. (1991) Influence of nitrogen alloying of austenitic weld on development of structural inhomogeneity in the zone of fusion with pearlitic steel. Svarka, 2, 10–14 [in Russian].
- Elagin, V.P., Snisar, V.V., Lipodaev, V.N. (1993) Peculiarities of nitrogen-containing shielded gases arc welding with austenitic wires of dissimilar and pearlitic steels. Ibid., 7, 12–16 [in Russian].
- Pisarev, V.A., Zhiznyakov, S.N. (2016) Oxygen influence on the process of nitrogen-induced pore formation in consumable electrode arc welding. The Paton Welding J., 7, 47–50 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.07.09
- Potapievsky, A.G., Saraev, Yu.A., Chinakhov, D.A. (2012) Consumable electrode shielded-gas welding of steels. In: Engineering and technology of future: Monography. Tomsk, TPU [in Russian].
- Elagin, V.P., Snisar, V.V., Lipodaev, V.N. et al. (1995) Mechanized welding of 15Kh5M steel without preheating and heat treatment. Svarka, 8, 19–23 [in Russian].
- Elagin, V.P. (2014) Selection of shielding gas for mechanized arc welding of dissimilar steels. The Paton Welding J., 6–7, 110–114 [in Russian].
- Petrishchev, A.S., Grigoriev, S.M. (2012) Some physical-chemical principles of carbon-thermal reduction of refractory elements in system (Mo, W, Cr, V, Nb)–O–C. Protsessy Litiya, 5, 3–9 [in Russian].
- Vornovitsky, I.N., Saveliev, V.G., Sidlin, Z.A. (1997) Realization of silicate decomposition in welding slags. Proizvodstvo, 5, 11–12 [in Russian].
- (2015) Essential factors in gas shielded metal arc welding. Kita-Shinagawa, Shinagawa-Ku, Kobe steel, Ltd.
- Gotalsky, Yu.N., Stretovich, A.D. (1975) Method of improvement of slag crust separation in gas electric welding with austenitic wire. Proizvodstvo, 9, 22–23 [in Russian].