TPWJ, 2018, #3, 6-11 pages
Weldability of high-strength alloyed steels with yield strength of 590–785 Mpa
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #3, 2018 (March)
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
This paper summarizes the results of investigations of influence of the thermal cycles, characteristic for arc welding processes, on the structure and mechanical properties of high-strength alloyed steels with yield strength of 590–785 MPa, as well as on their susceptibility to cold crack formation. The structural transformations in the metal of heat-affected-zone of welded joints were investigated using a quick-response dilatometer, and its mechanical properties and susceptibility to cold crack formation were evaluated according to the results of tests of standard specimens and by the Implant method, respectively. The diagrams of the structural transformations of austenite in the region of metal overheating of heat-affected-zone of a number of high-strength alloyed steels, the dependences of change in their mechanical properties during welding, and also the data, characterizing the susceptibility of high-strength alloyed steels to cold crack formation at different concentrations of diffusion hydrogen in the deposited metal, are presented. 15 Ref., 4 Tables, 4 Figures.
high-strength steels, arc welding, metal structure, mechanical properties, cold cracks
- Show, B.K., Veerababu, R., Balamuralikrishnan, R., Malakondaiah, G. (2010) Effect of vanadium and titanium modification on the microstructure and mechanical properties of microalloyed HSLA steel. Sci. Eng., A, 527, 1595–1604.
- Paton, B.E., Medovar, B.I., Tikhonov, V.A. et al. (1984) Examination of possibility of quality improvement of thick-sheet high-strength structural steels 12GN2MFAYu (VS-1) and 12Kh2MFBAYu (VS-2) using electroslag remelting method. Problemy Spets. Elektrometallurgii, 21, 3–7 [in Russian].
- Paton, B.E., Medovar, B.I., Tikhonov, V.A. et al. (1985) Electroslag remelting of high-strength structural steels 12GN2MFAYu (VS-1) grade under fluxes containing rare-earth metals. Ibid., 1, 5–7 [in Russian].
- Pokhodnya, I.K., Shvachko, V.I. (1996) Cold cracks welded joint of structural steels. Materials Sci., 32(1), 45–55. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02538924
- Stevenson, M.E., Slowrie, S.L., Bowman, R.D., Bennett, B.A. (2002) Metallurgical failure analysis of cold cracking in a structural steel weldment: Revisiting a classic failure mechanism. Practical Failure Analysis, 2, 55–60. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02715454
- Garasic, I., Coric, A., Kozuh, Z., Dzic, I. (2010) Occurrence of cold cracks in welding of high-strength S960 QL steel. Technical Gazette, 17, 327–335.
- Lobanov, L.M., Poznyakov, V.D., Makhnenko, O.V. (2013) Formation of cold cracks in welded joints from high-strength steels with 350-850 MPa yield strength. The Paton Welding J., 7, 7–12.
- Keehan, E., Zachrisson, J., Karlsson, L. (2010) Influence of cooling rate on microstructure and properties of high strength steel weld metal. and Techn. of Welding and Joining, 15, 233–238. https://doi.org/10.1179/136217110X12665048207692
- Svensson, L.-E. (2007) Microstructure and properties of high strength weld metals. Materials Sci. Forum, 539–543, 3937–3942. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.539-543.3937
- Ragu Nathan, S., Balasubramanian, V., Malarvizhi, S., Rao, A.G. (2015) Effect of welding processes on mechanical and microstructural characteristics of high strength low alloy naval grade steel joints. Defence Technology, 11(3), 308–317. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dt.2015.06.001
- Ghazanfari, H., Naderi, M. (2013) Influence of welding parameters on microstructure and mechanical performance of resistance spot welded high strength steels. Acta Metall. Sin., 26(5), 635–640. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40195-013-0076-1
- Ghazanfari, H., Naderi, M., Iranmanesh, M., Seydi, M. (2012) A comparative study of the microstructure and mechanical properties of HTLA steel welds obtained by the tungsten arc welding and resistance spot welding. Materials Sci. and Engineering, 534, 90–100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2011.11.046
- Shorshorov, M. Kh., Belov, V.V. (1972) Phase transformations and changes of steel properties in welding. Moscow, Nauka [in Russian].
- Sarzhevsky, V.A., Sazonov, V.Ya. (1981) Unit for simulation of welding thermal cycles based on the machine MSR-75. Svarka, 5, 69–70 [in Russian]. Pokhodnya, I.K., Paltsevich, A.P. (1980) Chromatographic method for determination of diffusion hydrogen amount in welds. Ibid., 1, 37–39 [in Russian].