TPWJ, 2018, #5, 20-26 pages
Application of leak before break criterion for prevention of avalanche fracture of the wall of vertical welded tanks
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #5, 2018 (May)
A.Yu. Barvinko, Yu.P. Barvinko, A.N. Yashnik and V.N. Miryanin
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
The paper deals with the possibility of improving the performance of oil storage tanks of 50–120 thou m3
capacity through application of normalized sheet steel 09G2SYuch-U390 and 09KhG2SYuch-U440 for design rings of tank wall. A relationship between the length of through-thickness fatigue crack in the butt welded joint of the studied steel and number of tank loading cycles was derived experimentally under the conditions of plane deformation at the initial stage of through-thickness crack propagation. Based on the obtained relationship, it was established that after formation of a through-thickness crack in the welded joint of the wall and appearance of oil leakage, there is sufficient time and conditions for its visual detection and taking measures for elimination of the detected defect. The possibility of application of this method to detect the through-thickness crack is proof of the fact that tanks with design rings from the studied steel satisfy the leak before creak criterion. 19 Ref., 5 Tables, 4 Figures.
oil storage tanks, fatigue crack, cyclic loading, butt welded joint, avalanche fracture, leak before break criterion
1. DBN V.1. 2-14–2009: General principles of ensuring reliability insurance and structural safety of buildings, constructions, building structures and foundations [in Ukrainian].
2. DBN V.1. 1-12:2014: Construction in seismic regions of Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
3. DSTU B V.2.6-183:2011: Vertical cylindrical steel tanks for oil and oil products [in Ukrainian].
4. API STANDARD 650: Welded steel tanks for storage of oil products. 12th Ed., March, 2013 [in Russian].
5. EN 10025-3:2004: Hot rolled products of structural steels. Technical delivery conditions for normalized/normalized rolled weldable fine grain structural steels.
6. DBN V.2.6-198:2014: Steel structures. Codes of design [in Ukrainian].
7. Chernikov, O.P., Barvinko, A.Yu., Vasyutik, A.I. et al. (2014) Modern tank building in Belarus Republic. Montazhnye i Spets. Raboty v Stroitelstve, 12, 9–13.
8. TU 14-1-5065–2006: Modification 1: Thick plate from low-alloy steel of 09G2SYuch, 09G2SYuch-U, 09KhG2SYuch and 09KhG2SYuch-U grades [in Russian].
9. TU 14-1-5065–2006: Thick plate from low-alloy steel of grades 09G2SYuch, 09G2SYuch-U, 09KhG2SYuch and 09KhG2SYuch-U [in Russian].
10. Egorova, S.V., Sterenbogen, Yu.A., Yurchishin, A.V. et al. (1990) New general purpose cold-resistant steel with high resistance to overheating in welding. Svarka, 2, 52–61 [in Russian].
11. Egorova, S.V., Yurchishin, A.V., Solina, E.N. et al. (1991) Cold-resistant 09KhG2SYuch steel of higher resistance for welded pressure vessels. Ibid., 12, 37–41.
12. Barvinko, A.Yu., Barvinko, Yu.P. (2016) On possibility of prevention of avalanche-like fractures of the wall of cylindrical tanks for oil storage by application of sheet steel with increased values of impact toughness. Diagnost. i Nerazrush. Kontrol, 2, 44–49 [in Russian].
13. Broek, D. (1980) Fundamentals of mechanics of fracture. Moscow, Vysshaya Shkola [in Russian].
14. Bourga, R., Moore, P., Janin, Y., BN Wang, J. (2015) Leak before break: Global perspectives and procedures. Review Sharples Int. of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 129–130, 43–49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2015.02.004
15. Trufyakov, V.I. (1990) Strength of welded joints under alternating loads. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
16. Karzov, G.P., Leonov, V.P., Timofeev, B.V. (1982) Welded pressure vessels. Moscow [in Russian].
17. DSTU-N B A.3.1-10:2008: Recommendation for performance of diagnostics of vertical steel tanks [in Ukrainian].
18. Girenko, V.P., Dyadin, V.P. (1985) Dependence between impact toughness and criteria of fracture mechanics δ1c, K1c of structural steels and their welded joints. Svarka, 9, 13–20 [in Russian].
19. DSTU EN 10025-4:2007: Hot rolled products of structural steel. Part 4: Technical delivery conditions for thermomechanical rolled weldable fine grain structural steels (EN 10025-4:2007, IDT).