TPWJ, 2019, #1, 2-6 pages
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #1, 2019 (February)
On the problem of contact electric resistance of different-sized surfaces
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
The theory of electric contacts assumes an experimentally-verified inverse proportionality of electric transient resistance to applied load. The paper shows that this condition is not fulfilled at small compression forces of different-sized contacts, which take place, in particular, in excitation of electric arc by contact or breakup of thin conductor. Measurements of electric resistance of near-contact area between thin (0.75 mm diameter) conductor and sheet of steels St37 (steel 10) and 1.4301 (08Kh18N10), brass CuZn37 (L63) and aluminium alloy AlMg3 (AMg3) showed that there is an increase of electric resistance due to elastic deformation of contact surface under the effect of local load at the rise of force to specific limits. Under experimental conditions the boundary force was equal to 2–3 daN, depending on the mechanical characteristics of metal. Beyond these limits a generally accepted functional dependence becomes effective. 12 Ref., 1 Table, 8 Figures.
transient electric resistance, electric contacts, elastic deformation, stud welding
1. Holm, R. (1961) Electric contacts. Moscow, IL [in Russian].
2. Kochergin, K.A. (1972) Pressure welding. Leningrad, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
3. Sakhatsky, G.V. (1979) Technology of cold welding. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
4. Karakozov, E.S. (1986) Pressure welding of metals. Moscow, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
5. Demkin, N.V., Ryzhov, E.V. (1981) Quality of surface and contact of machine parts. Moscow, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
6. Kragelsky, I.V., Dobychin, N.M., Kombalov, V.S. (1977) Principles of calculation for friction and wear. Moscow, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
7. Slobodyan, M.S. (2013) Analysis of procedures for evaluation of electric resistance of electrode-electrode and part-part areas before spot resistance microwelding. Svarochnoye Proizvodstvo, 8, 20–24 [in Russian].
8. Leskov, G.I. (1970) Electric welding arc. Moscow, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
9. Askeland, D.R., Fulay, P.P., Wright, W.J. (2011) The science and engineering of materials. Cengage Learning.
10. Thornton, P.H., Krause, A.R., Davies, R.G. (1996) Contact resistance in spot welding. Welding J., 12, 402–412.
11. Johnson, G.L. (1989) Mechanics of contact interaction. Moscow, Mir [in Russian].
12. Yanke, E., Emde, F., Lyosh, F. (1977) Special functions. Formulas, plots, tables. Moscow, Nauka [in Russian].