TPWJ, 2019, #9, 2-7 pages
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #9, 2019 (October)
Microstructure of VT20 titanium alloys produced by the method of layer-by-layer electron beam fusion using domestic powder materials
V.M. Nesterenkov1, V.A. Matviichuk1, M.O. Rusynik1, T.B. Yanko2 and A.E. Dmitrenko3
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
PJSC «Titanium Institute»
180 Soborny Prosp., 69035, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
NSC «Kharkov Institute of Physics and Technology»
1 Akademicheskaya Str., 61108, Kharkov, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Samples of products of domestic nonspherical powders of VT-20 titanium alloy were produced by the method of electron beam 3D fusion. Microstructure of deposited metal is pore-free, finely dispersed and uniform over the entire surface of the section. It is acicular a′-phase of titanium with a small content of b-phase. Sample microhardness is from HV
3960 to HV
4150 MPa. Uniform distribution of alloying elements and decreased content of aluminium due to its volatility in deposition was noted. Presence of insignificant porosity and increased roughness on part edges was detected. The methods of their elimination were obtained. 10 Ref., 1 Table, 11 Figures.
Keywords: additive technologies, titanium alloy, electron beam, surfacing, structure, microhardness
1. Nesterenkov, V.M., Matviichuk, V.A., Rusynik, M.O., Ovchinnikov, A.V. (2017) Application of additive electron beam technologies. The Paton Welding J., 3, 2-6. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2017.03.01
2. Yanko, T.B., Ovchinnikov, A.V. (2018) Titanium in additive technologies. In: Construction, materials science and machine building: Starodubov Readings, 217-222 [in Russian].
3. Nesterenkov, V.M., Matviichuk, V.A., Rusynik, M.O. (2018) Manufacture of industrial products using electron beam technologies for 3D-printing. The Paton Welding J., 1, 24-28. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2018.01.05
4. Nesterenkov, V.M., Khripko, K.S., Orsa, Yu.V., Matvejchuk, V.A. (2018) Electron beam technologies in aircraft construction. Materials Science: Achievements and prospects. In: 2 vol., Vol. 2, ed. By L. M. Lobanov. Kyiv, Akademperiodika, 192-221 [in Ukrainian].
5. Matviichuk, V.A, Nesterenkov, V.M., Rusynik, M.O. (2018) Application of additive electron-beam technologies for manufacture of metal products. Electrotechnica & Electronica E+E, 3-4, 69-73. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2018.01.05
6. Mahale, T.R. (2009) Electron beam melting of advanced materials and structures: Ph.D. dissertation, North Carolina State University, NC, US.
7. Gaytan, S., Murr, L., Medina, F. et al. (2009) Advanced metal powder based manufacturing of complex components by electron beam melting. Materials Technology, 24(3), 180-190. https://doi.org/10.1179/106678509X12475882446133
8. Zäh, M.F., Lutzmann, S. (2010) Modelling and simulation of electron beam melting. Production Engineering, 4(1), 15-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11740-009-0197-6
9. Muth, T.R., Yamamoto, Y., Frederick, D.A. et al. (2018) Causal factors of weld porosity in gas tungsten arc welding of powder-metallurgy-produced titanium alloys. JOM, 65(5), 643-651. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11837-013-0592-5
10. Price, S., Cheng, B., Lydon, J. et al. (2015) On process temperature in powder-bed electron beam additive manufacturing: Process parameter effects. J. of Manufacturing Sci. and Eng., 136, 061019. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4028485