TPWJ, 2019, #12, 37-47 pages
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #12, 2019 (December)
Modernization of heads of automatic welding machines for orbital tig-welding of pipelines of NPP power units
L.M. Lobanov1, N.M. Makhlin2, V.E. VOdolazsky2, V.E. Popov2 and D.S. Oliyanenko2
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
SE «Scientific and engineering center of welding and control in the field of nuclear energy
of Ukraine of E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine»
11, Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: electro@paton.Kyiv.ua
To the accuracy and reliability of actuating mechanisms of modern automatic machines for orbital (GTAW) welding of position joints of pipelines of NPP power units a number of specific requirements is made. In particular, they concern the largest diameters of faceplates of welding heads of such automatic machines, in which, as a rule, all or the most of those mechanisms are located. This paper describes the designs of actuating mechanisms of modern automatic machines for GTAW of position joints of NPP pipelines, designed at the Scientific and engineering center of welding and control in the field of nuclear energy. Designed were the mechanisms of clamping (fixation) of welding heads on a pipe being welded, the mechanism for arc length stabilization, the mechanism for rotation (rotator) of faceplate around the axis of pipes to be welded, the mechanism for automatic regulation of arc voltage, the mechanism for oscillation of nonconsumable electrode (across the weld) and the mechanism for filler wire feed. The results of industrial operation of some automatic machines for GTAW, designed at the Scientific and engineering center of welding and control in the field of nuclear energy, are presented, in which the described mechanisms are used. The aim of this work is to present the results of works carried out at the Scientific and engineering center of welding and control in the field of nuclear energy in the direction of creating components of automatic machines for GTAW of position joints of thin-walled pipelines of steels from austenite, pearlite classes, carbon steels and alloys of nonferrous metals (except aluminum and its alloys). 11 Ref., 2 Tables, 6 Figures.
automatic orbital arc welding, nonconsumable electrode, inert gases, welding head, faceplate, actuating mechanisms, faceplate rotator, nonconsumable electrode oscillator, filler wire
1. Bukarov, V.A. (2002) Technology of automatic shieldedarc welding. In: Welding in nuclear industry and power engineering.Trudy NIKIMT. Moscow, AT, Vol. 1, 149-210 [in Russian].
2. Grinenko, V.I., Roshchin, V.V., Khavanov, V.A., Poloskov, S.I. (2008) To problem of automation of welding of field joints in nuclear plant piping. Tekhnologiya Mashinostroeniya, 8, 48-51 [in Russian].
3. Poloskov, S.I., Bukarov, V.A., Ishchenko, Yu.S. (2000) Effect of parameter deviations of argon-arc welding of pipe position butt joints on quality of welded joints. In: Proc. of All-Russian Sci.-Techn. Conf. on Welding and Related Technologies. Moscow, MEI (TU), 22-25 [in Russian].
4. (1986) Arc welding equipment: Refer. Book. Ed. by V.V. Smirnov. Leningrad, Energoatomizdat [in Russian].
5. Makhlin, N.M., Korotynsky, A.E., Bogdanovsky, V.A. et al. (2011) Single- and multioperator systems for automatic welding of position butt joints of nuclear plant piping. The Paton Welding J., 11, 28-36.
6. Makhlin, N.M., Korotynsky, O.E., Svyrydenko, A.O. (2013) Hardware and software complexes for automatic welding of position butt joints of nuclear plant pipings. Nauka ta Innovatsii, 9(6), 31-45 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/scin9.06.031
7. Makhlin, N.M., Popov, V.E., Fedorenko, N.S. et al. (2013) Application of automatic orbital welding in manufacture of housings of neutron measurement channels of nuclear reactors. The Paton Welding J., 6, 28-33.
8. Makhlin, N.M., Buryak, V.Yu. (2019) Drives of mechanisms of automatic machines for orbital TIG welding of metal pipeline butt joints in NPP power units. Ibid., 9, 47-52. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2019.09.09
9. Gladkov, E.A. (2006) Control of processes and equipment in welding: Manual for students of higher education inst. Moscow, Akademiya [in Russian].
10. Grinenko, V.I., Khavanov, V.A., Belousov, A.N., Poloskov, S.I. (2002) Experience of NIKIMT on creation of equipment for orbital welding of pipes in site. In: Welding in nuclear industry and power engineering.Trudy NIKIMT. Moscow, AT, Vol. 2, 310-339 [in Russian].
11. (2019) http://www.polysoude.com