TPWJ, 2021, #1, 12-17 pages
Prediction of residual stresses after welding of duplex steel taking into account phase transformations
O.S. Kostenevych1 and J. Ren2
The Experimental Design and Technological Bureau of the E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute
of the NAS of Ukraine
15 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: alenakostenevich@ gmail.com
School of Engineering, Liverpool John Moores University
3 Byron Str., United Kingdom. E-mail: x.j.ren@ ljmu.ac.uk
The presented study involved mathematical modelling of single pass TIG welding of duplex stainless steel S32205.
The temperature fields, the fusion zone and HAZ dimension, the cooling rate fields, residual stresses taking into account
kinetics of dissolution of austenite during heating and kinetics of precipitation of austenite during cooling were
obtained. The comparative analysis of residual stresses with/without phase transformations showed the difference of
residual stresses distribution due to different amounts of austenite and ferrite and due to volumetric changes during
phase transformations. 24 Ref, 1 Тable, 9 Figures.
duplex stainless steel, TIG welding, phas e transformations, austenite, ferrite, residual stresses
1. (2014) Practical Guidelines for the Fabrication of Duplex Stainless Steels. Int. Molybdenum Association (IMOA); 3rd Ed.
2. Ammann, T. (2007) Arc welding of duplex steels in a shielding gas environment. Svetsaren, The ESAB Welding and Cutting J., 62(1), 41-45.
3. (2019) Duplex Stainless Steels Welding Guidelines. Industeel ArcelorMittal, June.
4. (2011) API Technical Report 938-C: Use of duplex stainless steels in the oil refining industry, 2nd ed.
5. Pramanik, A., Littlefair, G., Basak, A.K. (2015) Weldability of duplex stainless steel. Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 30(9), 1053-1068. https://doi.org/10.1080/10426914.2015.1019126
6. Vahid Hosseini. (2018) Super duplex stainless steels - microstructure and properties of physically simulated base and weld metal. PhD Thesis Production Technology, 24. University West, Sweden.
7. Kim, Yoon-Jun. (2004) Phase Transformations in Cast Duplex Stainless Steels. Other Information: TH: Thesis (Ph.D.); Submitted to Iowa State Univ., Ames, IA (US); PBD: 19 Dec.
8. Brytan, Z., Niagaj, J., Pakieła, W., Bonek, M. (2015) FEM modeling of lean duplex stainless steel welding. J. of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engin., 70(1), 36-44.
9. Gideon, B., Ward, L., Carr, D.G., Muransky, O. (2008) Duplex stainless steel welds: residual stress determination, magnetic force microscopy and susceptibility to intergranular corrosion. In: Proc. of 6th European Stainless Steels Conf. (Helsinki, Finland, 10-13 June 2008), F-2P, 629-636.
10. Giętka, T., Ciechacki, K., Kik, T. (2016) Numerical simulation of duplex steel multipass welding. Archives of Metallurgy and Materials, 61(4), 1975-1984, December. https://doi.org/10.1515/amm-2016-0319
11. Floreka, A., Křížb, A., Vilcsekc, I. (2019) Numerical modelling of welding of duplex steel. AIP Conf. Proceedings 2189, 020006. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5138618
12. Tae-Hwan Um, Chin-Hyung Lee, Kyong-Ho Chang, Vuong Nguyen Van Do. (2018) Features of residual stresses in duplex stainless steel butt welds. IOP Conference Series Earth and Environmental Sci., 143(1):012030 https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/143/1/012030
13. Leffler, B. (2013) Stainless steels and their properties. http://www.hazmetal.com/f/kutu/1236776229.pdf
14. Goldak, J., Chakravart, A., Bibby, M. (1984) A new finite element model for welding heat sources. Metallurgical Transact. B, Process Metallurgy, 15(2), 299-305. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02667333
15. Toshio Kuroda, Kenji Ikeuchi, Yoshihiko Kitagawa. (2004) Microstructure control for joining advanced stainless steel. In: Proc. of the Int. Symposium on Novel Materials Processing by Advanced Electromagnetic Energy Sources (March 19-22, 2004, Osaka, Japan), 419-422. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-008044504-5/50086-6
16. Varbai, B., Adonyi, Y., Baumer, R. et al. (2019) Weldability of duplex stainless steels - thermal cycle and nitrogen effects: Duplex stainless steel weld microstructures were investigated as a function of weld thermal cycles and shielding gas nitrogen content. Welding J., 98, 78-87. https://doi.org/10.29391/2019.98.006
17. Koichi Yasuda, Robert N. Gunn, Trevor G. Gooch. (2002) Prediction of austenite phase fraction in duplex stainless steel weld metals. Quarterly J. of the Japan Welding Society, 20(1), 68-77. https://doi.org/10.2207/qjjws.20.68
18. Sieurin, H., Sandstrom, R. (2007) Sigma phase precipitation in duplex stainless steel 2205. Materials Sci. and Engin. A, 444, 271-276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2006.08.107
19. Nishimoto, K., Saida, K., Katsuyama, O. (2006) Prediction of sigma phase precipitation in super duplex stainless steel weldments. Weld World, 50, 13-28. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03263429
20. Makhnenko, V.I., Kozlitina, S.S., Dzyubak, L.I. (2011) Forecasting the content of σ-phase in the HAZ of welded joints of duplex steels in arc welding. The Paton Welding J., 6, 6-8.
21. Ogura T., Matsumura T., Yu L. et al. (2018) Numerical simulation of ferrite/austenite phase fraction in multipass welds of duplex stainless steels. Mathematical modelling of weld phenomena In: Proc. of 12th Int. Seminar on Numerical Analysis of Weldability (Graz, Austria); https://doi.org/10.3217/978-3-85125-615-4-07
22. Ghusoon Ridha Mohammed, Mahadzir Ishak, Syarifah N. Aqida, Hassan A. Abdulhadi (2017) Effects of heat input on microstructure, corrosion and mechanical characteristics of welded austenitic and duplex stainless steels: A Review. Metals - Open Access Metallurgy J., 7(2), 39. https://doi.org/10.3390/met7020039
23. Makhnenko, V.I., Velikoivanenko, E.A., Pochinok, V.E. et al. (1999) Numerical methods for the prediction of welding stress and distortions. Welding and Surfacing Reviews, 13, 1.
24. Yuriev, S.F. (1950) Specific volume of phases in the martensitic transformation of austenite. Metallurgizdat [in Russian].
Advertising in this issue: