The Paton Welding Journal, 2021, #9, 20-26 pages
Influence of deformations from static loads on impact and fracture toughness of cylindrical shells
V.P. Dyadin, Ye.O. Davydov and R.I. Dmytrienko
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The work is a study of the effect of accumulation of plastic deformation in the base metal of the pipeline from the action
of inner pressure on the change of impact toughness of the Charpy specimens cut out in the longitudinal and circumferential
directions. The studies in this direction are carried out on the specimen made from electrically-welded straight
seam pipe of 630×8 from 17G1S steel. The obtained test results allow correcting the requirements to the specific work
of impact specimens taking into account its possible reduction depending on the predicted plastic deformation of the
structural element and anisotropic properties of the material. 17 Ref., 4 Tables, 10 Figures.
plastic deformation, ageing, impact toughness, heat-affected zone, brittle-ductile transition temperature,
fracture toughness characteristics
Received Received 25.06.2021
1. Babich, V.K., Gul, Yu.P., Dolzhenkov, I.E. (1972) Strain ageing
of steel. Moscow, Metallurgiya [in Russian].
2. Paton, B.E., Semenov, S.E., Rybakov, A.A. et al. (2000) Ageing
and procedure of evaluation of the state of metal of the
main pipelines in service. The Paton Welding J., 7, 2‒10.
3. Girenko, V.S., Semenov, S.E., Goncharenko, L.V. (2001)
Strain ageing of pipe steels. Tekh. Diagrost. i Nerazrush. Kontrol,
4. Pashkov, Yu.I., Anisimov, Yu.I., Lanchakov, G.A. et al. (1996)
Prediction of residual strength limit of main gas and oil pipelines
taking into account the operating time. Stroitelstvo
Truboprovodov, 2, 2–5 [in Russian].
5. Pashkov, Yu.N. (1996) Crack resistance of welded pipes for
gas pipelines: Syn. of Thesis for Dr. of Tech. Sci. Degree.
Moscow [in Russian].
6. Dyadin, V.P. (2007) Influence of pre-deformation on impact
toughness of Charpy sample in fracture. The Paton Welding
J., 1, 22‒26.
7. Zolotarevsky, V.S. (1998) Mechanical properties of metals.
Moscow, MISIS [in Russian].
8. Mochernyuk, N.P., Krasnevsky, S.M., Lazarevich, G.I. et al.
(1991) Influence of operating time of main gas pipeline and
working gas pressure on physical-mechanical characteristics
of pipe steel 19G. Gazovaya Promyshlennost, 3, 34–36 [in
9. Gumerov, A.G. (1998) Defectiveness of oil pipelines and
methods of their repair. Moscow, Nedra [in Russian].
10. (1967) Structure and mechanical properties of metals. Moscow,
Metallurgiya [in Russian].
11. Gafarov, N.A., Goncharov, A.A., Kushnarenko, V.M. (1998)
Corrosion and protection of hydrogen sulfide-containing oil
and gas fields. Moscow, Nedra [in Russian].
12. Girenko, V.S., Dyadin, V.P. (1990) Correlation of crack resistance
characteristics of materials and welded joints with
results of standard mechanical tests. Avtomatich. Svarka, 6,
1–4 [in Russian].
13. Siratori, M., Miesi, T., Mitsushima, H. (1986) Computational
fracture mechanics. Moscow, Mir [in Russian].
14. Phaal, R., Madnald, K.A., Brown, P.A. (1993) Correlations
between fracture toughness and Сharpy impact energy. Doc.
15. Girenko, V.S., Dyadin, V.P. (1985) Dependencies between
impact toughness and fracture mechanics criteria δiс, K1с of
structural steels and their welded joints. Avtomatich. Svarka,
9, 14–22 [in Russian].
16. Dyadin, V.P. (2010) Evaluation of temperature shift depending
upon the specimen thickness by the force and deformation
criteria of fracture mechanics. The Paton Welding J., 4, 14‒21.
17. Troitskii, V.A., Dyadin, V.P. (2011) Selection of control sections
of the main pipelines for diagnostic examination. Tekh.
Diagnost. i Nerazrush. Kontrol, 3, 5‒11 [in Russian].
Advertising in this issue: