The Paton Welding Journal, 2022, #9, 47-50 pages
High performance equipment for tandem ММА welding (surfacing)
M.P. Drachenko, O.E. Korotynskyi
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the paper special attention is given to application of pulsed-arc tandem welding by coated electrodes. Mock-ups of equipment
for tandem welding and surfacing were developed and studied. A scheme was proposed for tandem arc welding by stick
coated electrodes, fitted with capacitive energy storage devices, as well as a device-attachment that allows using any welding
current source to perform this kind of welding operations. The attachment operation is based on the principle of controlling the
electrode melting rate that ensures their uniform mutual burnout. Also shown are time diagrams, which clarify the principle of
operation of the device, photos of surfaced samples, oscillograms of currents supplied to the welding electrodes. 7 Ref., 8 Fig.
tandem arc welding, capacitive energy storage devices, pulse-time regulation of electrode melting rate
1. Dilthey, U., Stein, L., Woeste, K., Reich, F. (2003) Latest development
and trends in high-effi cient welding technologies.
The Paton Welding J., 10-11, 146-152.
2. Ueyama, T., Ohnawa, T., Yamazaki, K. et al. (2005) Highspeed
welding of steel sheets by the tandem pulsed gas metal
arc welding system. Transact. of JWRI, 34(1), 11–18.
3. Tsybulkin, G.A. (2018) Effect of own magnetic fields on electric arcs in tandem-arc welding. The Paton Welding J., 3, 12-15. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2018.03.02
4. (2021) Welding by several electrodes. Ukraine. https://msd.
5. Knyazkov, A.F., Saraev, Yu.N., Timoshenko, A.K., Kolesin,
S.A. (1983) Method of twin-electrode welding with short
circuits of arc gap and device for its realization. RF Patent
998039 [in Russian].
6. Korotynskyi, O.E., Skopyuk, M.I., Drachenko, M.P. (2020)
Power source for tandem arc MMA welding. Patent on utility
model 140340, Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
7. Korotynsky, A.E. (2002) State-of-the-art, tendencies and
prospects of development of high-speed welding converters
(Review). The Paton Welding J., 7, 36-37.