TPWJ, 2013, #9, 2-8 pages
DEFECTS OF JOINTS OF HIGH-STRENGTH RAILS PRODUCED USING FLASH-BUTT WELDING
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 9, 2013 (September)
S.I. KUCHUK-YATSENKO, V.I. SHVETS, A.V. DIDKOVSKY, E.V. ANTIPIN and L.M. KAPITANCHUK
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU. 11 Bozhenko Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The investigations of defects of structure of rail joints, made by flash-butt welding, were carried out. The defects were detected at the fracture surface of joints during static bending tests and also after fracture under the operation conditions. The analysis of microstructure and chemical heterogeneity of the fracture surface was performed using Auger-microprobe JAMP 9500F of the JEOL company (Japan). The defects formed as a result of deviation from the standard welding conditions include lacks of penetration and inclusions of iron-manganese silicates which considerably decrease the values at mechanical tests of welded joints. Their presence in the welded joints is not admissible. Clusters of inclusions of aluminium silicates, the so-called dead spots, and oxide films of the more complicated composition are formed in the joint on the basis of non-uniformly distributed non-metallic inclusions of rail metal. The dead spots of small area do not influence the values at mechanical tests of welded joints. Their total area on the fracture should not exceed 15 mm2. On the basis of carried out investigations the criteria of quality evaluation of the high-strength steel joints, made by flash-butt welding using modern control systems, were determined. 9 Ref., 2 Tables, 11 Figures.
flash-butt welding, rail steels, static bending, fracture surface, defects of welded joints, lack of penetration, iron-manganese silicates, aluminium silicates
1. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Didkovsky, A.V., Shvets, V.I. (2008) Technology and equipment for flash-butt welding of high-strength rails. The Paton Welding J., 11, 111-120.
2. TU U 27.1-31632138-1330-2010: New welded rails for railways. Kharkiv regional scientific-production center of standardization, metrology and certification.
3. Gulyaev, A.I. (1985) Technology and equipment for fluash-butt welding. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
4. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I. (1992) Flash-butt welding. Ed. by V.K. Lebedev. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
5. (2000) Classification and catalogue of defects and damages of elements of pointworks and rails of Ukrainian railways. Dnipropetrovsk: ArtPress.
6. Vinograd, M.I., Gromova, G.P. (1971) Inclusions in alloy steels and doped alloys. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
7. Godik, L.A., Kozyrev, N.A., Polyakov, V.A. (2009) Optimization of oxygen content in rail steel. Stal, 3, 29-32.
8. (1985) Atlas of slags: Refer. Book. Ed. by I.S. Kulikov. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
9. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Didkovsky, O.V., Bogorsky, M.V. et al. Method of flash-butt welding. Pat. 46820 Ukraine. Int. Cl. B23K11/04, C2. Publ. 17.06.2002.