The Paton Welding Journal, 2012, #8, 22-25 pages
NEW SYSTEM OF FILLER METALS FOR BRAZING OF TITANIUM ALLOYS
V.F. KHORUNOV and V.V. VORONOV
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
Based on the results of systematic studies of Ti-Zr-Co system alloys and allowing for published data, the liquidus surface of this system was plotted by using the simplex-lattice experimental design method. This system was found to have a region of alloys with decreased liquidus temperature, the most promising in terms of filler metal development. Spreading of experimental filler metals over titanium alloys of different classes (OT4, VT6 and VT22) was studied. The data on mechanical properties of the brazed joints are given.
brazing, titanium alloys, new system of brazing filler metals, liquidus surface, wetting, mechanical properties
1. Shapiro, A., Rabinkin, A. (2003) State of the art and new potential aerospace applications of titanium-based brazing filler metals: Overview. In: Proc. of 2nd Int. Brazing and Soldering Conf. (San-Diego, Feb. 17-19, 2003).
2. Lashko, N.F., Lashko, S.V. (1977) Brazing of metals. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
3. Shapiro, A.E., Flom, Y.A. Brazing of titanium at temperatures below 800 °C: Review and prospective applications. http:www.titanium-brazing.com/publications/DVS-Manuscript_1020-Copy2-19-07.pdf
4. Muller, H., Breme, J. (1999) Brazing of titanium with new biocompatible brazing filler alloys. In: Proc. of 9th World Conf. on Titanium Science and Technology (Saint-Petersburg, Russia, 7-11 June 1999), 1655-1758.
5. Khorunov, V.F., Maksymova, S.V., Ivanchenko, V.G. (2004) Development of filler metals for brazing heat-resistant nickel- and titanium-base alloys. The Paton Welding J., 9, 26-31.
6. Khorunov, V.F., Maksymova, S.V., Zelinskaya, G.M. (2010) Investigation of structure and phase composition of alloys based on the Ti-Zr-Fe system. Ibid., 9, 9-13.
7. Zedgenidze, I.G. (1976) Experimental design for investigation of multi-component systems. Moscow: Nauka.
8. Scheffe, H. (1958) Experiments with mixtures. J. Roy. Stat. Soc. B, 20(2), 344.