The Paton Welding Journal, 2011, #5, 20-24 pages
OPTIMISATION OF THE PROCESS OF STRENGTHENING OF WELDED JOINTS OF 09G2S STEEL BY HIGH-FREQUENCY MECHANICAL PEENING
V.V. KNYSH, S.A. SOLOVEJ and I.L. BOGAJCHUK
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
Based on investigation of the depth of plastically deformed metal layer after application of high-frequency mechanical peening, optimum parameters for strengthening low-alloyed steels were established, which enable plastic deformation of metal to the depth of down to 1 mm.
strengthening of welded joints, high-frequency mechanical peening, plastically deformed metal layer, microhardness, optimization
1. Zhao, X., Wang, D., Huo, L. (2011) Analysis of the S-N curves of welded joints enhanced by ultrasonic peening treatment. Materials & Design, 32(1), 88-96.
2. Abston, S. (2010) The technology and applications of ultrasonic impact technology. Austral. Welding J., 55, 20-21.
3. Yin, D., Wang, D., Jing, H. et al. (2010) The effects of ultrasonic peening treatment on the ultra-long life fatigue behaviour of welded joints. Materials & Design, 31(7), 3299-3307.
4. Marquis, G. (2010) Failure modes and fatigue strength of improved HSS welds. Eng. Fract. Mech., 77, 2051-2062.
5. Wang, T., Wang, D., Huo, L. et al. (2009) Discussion on fatigue design of welded joints enhanced by ultrasonic peening treatment (UPT). Int. J. Fatigue, 31(4), 644-650.
6. Kudryavtsev, Y., Kleiman, J., Lugovskoy, A. et al. (2007) Rehabilitation and repair of welded elements and structures by ultrasonic peening. Welding in the World, 51(7/8), 47-53.
7. Kuhlmann, U., Duerr, A., Guenther, P. et al. (2005) Verlangerung der Lebensdauer von Schweisskonstruktion aus hoeherfesten Baustaehlen durch Anwendung der UIT-Technologie. Schweissen und Schneiden, 57(8), 384-391.
8. Huo, L., Wang, D., Zhang, Y. (2005) Investigation of the fatigue behaviour of the welded joints treated by TIG dressing and ultrasonic peening under variable-amplitude load. Int. J. Fatigue, 27(1), 95-101.
9. Statnikov, E.S., Muktepavel, V.O., Blomqvist, A. (2002) Comparison of ultrasonic impact treatment (UIT) and other fatigue life improvement methods. Welding in the World, 46(3/4), 20-32.
10. Mordvintseva, A.V. (1959) Ultrasonic impact treatment of welded joints for removal of residual stresses. Trudy MVTU im. N.E. Baumana, Issue 45, 32-43.
11. Lobanov, L.M., Kirian, V.I., Knysh, V.V. (2006) Improvement of fatigue resistance of welded joints in metal structures by high-frequency mechanical peening (Review). The Paton Welding J., 9, 2-8.
12. Prokopenko, G.I., Nedoseka, A.Ya., Gruzd, A.A. et al. (1995) Development and optimization of equipment and process of ultrasonic peening of welded joints for relaxation of residual stresses. Tekhnich. Diagnostika i Nerazrush. Kontrol, 3, 14-22.
13. Kravtsov, T.G., Sevryukov, V.V. (2001) Ultrasonic peening of ship parts and welded structures. Nikolaev: UGMTU.
14. Nekhoroshov, O.N., Pershin, V.P., Semukhin, B.S. (2006) Application of ultrasonic peening method on welded joints of structural steels. Vestnik TGA-SU, 2, 120-125.
15. Degtyaryov, V.A., Shulginov, B.S., Knysh, V.V. (2009) Deformation criterion of the efficiency of strengthening of welded joints by high-frequency mechanical peening. The Paton Welding J., 10, 39-41.
16. Mordyuk, B.N., Milman, Yu.V., Iefimov, M.O. et al. (2008) Characterization of ultrasonically peened and lasershock peened surface layers of AISI-321 stainless steel. Surface and Coating Technology, 202, 4875-4883.
17. Volosevich, P.Yu., Prokopenko, G.I., Knysh, V.V. et al. (2008) Structural changes in weld zone of St3 steel in ultrasonic peening and their influence on improvement of fatigue resistance. Metallofizika i Nov. Tekhnologii, 30(10), 1429-1443.
18. Mordyuk, B.N., Prokopenko, G.I. (2007) Ultrasonic impact peening for surface properties' management. J. Sound and Vibrations, 308(3/5), 855-866.
19. Volosevich, P.Yu., Kozlov, A.V., Mordyuk, B.N. et al. (2003) Plastic deformation in ultrasonic field and its possibilities as applied to carbon saturation of surface layers of iron specimens. Metallofizika i Nov. Tekhnologii, 25(5), 679-692.
20. Yurkova, A.I., Belotsky, A.V., Byakova, A.V. et al. (2007) Mechanism of iron dispersion in intensive plastic deformation by friction with simultaneous nitrogen diffusion. Nanosistemy, Nanomaterialy, Nanotekhnologii, 5(2), 565-588.
21. Mordyuk, B.N., Prokopenko, G.I. (2006) Fatigue life improvement of .-titanium by novel ultrasonically assisted technique. Materials Sci. and Eng., 437, 396-405.