The Paton Welding Journal, 2016, #5-6, 4-12 pages
Flash-butt welding of high-strength rails of nowadays production
S.I. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, A.V. Didkovsky, V.I. Shvets, P.M. Rudenko and E.V. Antipin
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU 11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Over the recent five years, the high-strength rails of the new generation of type R65 of steel grade K76F of the production of the plant «MK Azovstal» as well as high-strength rails of type R65 of steel grade 76F of Russian production with their welding in continuous welded track are more and more often laid at the railroads of Ukraine. At the E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute the comprehensive investigations of weldability of these rails were carried out using flash-butt method with the aim of development of industrial technologies. In welding of all the investigated batches of high-strength rails the required values of mechanical properties of welded joints were obtained at welding modes, characterizing by energy input 1.5–2 times lower than that in welding of rails of previous generations. The welding technology using pulsed flashing was developed providing a highly-concentrated heating and formation of quality joints of high-strength rails of different production, as well as the new generation of machines for flash-butt welding of high-strength rails under the stationary and field conditions was developed. 10 Ref., 11 Figures, 3 Tables.
flash-butt welding, flashing, rails, high-strength rails, pulsed flashing, continuous flashing, defects in rails, quality control, continuous welded track
- Genkin, I.Z. (1951) Electric resistance welding of rails: Technical reference book of railroader, Vol. 5, 378–390.
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Lebedev, V.Kh. (1976) Continuous flash-butt welding. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
- TU U 27.1-40081293-002:2016: New welded rails for railroads. Dniptopetrovsk: Ukrzaliznytsya.
- Genkin, I.Z. (2003) Welded rails and switches. Moscow: Intekst.
- Dotsenko, V.E. (1949) Resistance welding of rails. Moscow: Mashgiz.
- Genkin, I.Z. (1973) Studies, welding experience and service of case-hardened rails. In: Technology of manufacturing of railroad rails, 132–136. Kharkov: UkrNIIMet.
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Khryashcheva, N.K., Shlyapin, V.B. et al. (1973) Continuous flash-butt welding process. Put i Put. Khozyajstvo, 2, 9–10.
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Krivenko, V.G., Bogorsky, M.V. (1977) Intensification of heating of rails in pulsed flash-butt welding. Svarka, 4, 45–50.
- Danilenko, E.I., Karpov, M.I., Kostyuk, M.D. et al. (2002) Technical recommendations on arrangement, laying, repair and maintenance of continuous rail track on railroads of Ukraine. Kyiv: Transport Ukrainy.
- Tokareva, A.E., Vinogorov, N.P. (2002) Repair of defective lengths. Put i Put. Khozyajstvo, 4, 121–141.