Electrometallurgy today, 2017, #4, 3-7 pages
Modeling of continuous casting by combined process of MCCB + ESR
L.B. Medovar1, A.P. Stovpchenko1, A.V. Sibir2, Ye.A. Volchenkov1,3, E.A. Pedchenko1,3, A.A. Polishko1, V.A. Lebed1,3
1E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2The National Metallurgical Academy of Ukraine.
4 Gagarin Ave., 49600, Dnepr, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
3Engineering company «Elmet-Roll».
03150, Kiev-150, P.B. 259. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Computer modeling of a combined process of continuous casting with electroslag heating of a rail steel was carried out. The program THERCAST®
was applied, which allows accounting for the peculiarities of design of a definite continuous casting machine. Using calculations, the initial parameters of not only of casting speed, but also of secondary cooling and their effect on depth of molten pool of a continuously-cast ingot were established. The peculiarities of matching the billets of separate passes at different speed of the ingot withdrawal were also studied. 10 Ref., 1 Table, 4 Fig.
Key words: continuous casting; ESR; secondary cooling; centerline segregation; hypereutectoid railroad steel
- Nippon Steel and Sumitomo Metal (2015) Rails. http://www.nssmc.com/product/catalog_download/pdf/K003en.pdf
- Medovar, L.B., Stovpchenko, A.P., Kaida, P.N. et al. (2016) New approach to the improvement of quality of billets for manufacture of high-strength rails. Electrometall., 1, 7–15 [in Russian].
- Kayda, P., Medovar, L., Polishko, G., Stovpchenko, G. (2015) ESR possibilities to improve railroad rail steel performance. In: of 9th Intern. Conf. on Clean Steel (2015, September 8–10, Budapest, Hungary).
- Medovar, B.I., Latash, Yu.V., Maksimovich, B.I., Stupak, L.M. (1963) Electroslag remelting. Moscow, GNTI [in Russian].
- Lally, B., Biegler, L., Henein, H. (1990) Finite difference heat-transfer modeling for continuous casting. Metallurgical Transact. B, 21B, 761–770. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02654255
- Marchenko, I.K. (1986) Semicontinuous casting of steel. Moscow, Metallurgiya [in Russian].
- (2015) http://www.inteco.at/en/products
- Jumbo Bloom Vertical Caster (2017) http://www.timkensteel.com
- Oversized blooms experience and market potential in Asia (2017) http://seaisi.org/seaisi2017/file/file/presentation-file/ 10A-4.pdf