TPWJ, 2010, #5, 34-37 pages
NARROW-GAP WELDING OF UP TO 110 mm THICK HIGH-STRENGTH TITANIUM ALLOYS
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 5, 2010 (May)
S.V. AKHONIN, V.Yu. BELOUS, V.S. ROMANYUK, V.V. STESIN, S.I. VELIKY, A.V. SEMENENKO and A.K. POLISHCHUK
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
A method was developed for narrow-gap welding of thick titanium alloys (20-110 mm), having the following advantages: decrease in requirements to edge preparation, reduction of costs for preparatory operations, lowering of angular distortions and residual welding stresses in welded joints, and saving of welding wire and electric power, while ensuring a high quality of the welded joints. Guaranteed fusion of side walls of the groove with the weld is achieved due to application of the controlling transverse alternating magnetic field.
TIG welding, titanium alloys, filler wire, large thickness, narrow gap, controlling magnetic field, edge fusion, structure, mechanical properties
1. Mikhajlov, V.I., Sakharov, I.Yu. (2006) Welding of structures of thick titanium alloys (problems of technology). In: Proc. of Int. Conf. on Ti-2006 in CIS (21-24 May 2006, Suzdal, Russia). Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 109-111.
2. Paton, B.E., Zamkov, V.N., Prilutsky, V.P. (1996) Narrowgroove welding proves its worth on thick titanium. Welding J., 4, 37-41.
3. Grinin, V.S., Shtrikman, M.M. (1982) High-productivity automatic narrow-gap welding. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 7, 21-23.
4. Belous, V.Yu. (2009) TIG welding of thick titanium plates by using forming backing. The Paton Welding J., 10, 32-34.
5. Ardentov, V.V., Fedorenko, G.A. (1973) Influence of design of the flow part of torches on characteristics of gas shielding. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 10, 24-26.