The Paton Welding Journal, 2011, #8, 27-32 pages
FEATURES OF FORMATION OF DISSIMILAR METAL JOINTS IN HOT ROLL WELDING IN VACUUM
I.M. NEKLYUDOV, B.V. BORTS and V.I. TKACHENKO
National Science Center «Kharkov Institute of Physics and Technology», NASU, Kharkov, Ukraine
Features of formation of the boundary of solid-phase joint of dissimilar materials are presented, and its influence on tensile strength is shown, depending on ductility of materials being joined. Experimental results are compared with the theoretical model, which allows for plastic deformation of materials at their joining temperature, as well as shear forces arising in material rolling and having a determinant role in the process of solid-phase joining of materials. The paper gives experimental results of X-ray microprobe analysis, metallography, as well as investigations of the boundary of solid-phase joint of samples, including tensile, micro- and nanohardness tests. Obtained data led to the conclusion about the possibility of forming strength characteristics of dissimilar metal joint boundary.
vacuum roll welding, solid phase, joint boundary, formation features, strength, ductility
1. Gelman, A.S. (1970) Principles of pressure welding. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
2. Ajnbinder, S.B., Glude, R.K., Loginova, A.Ya. et al. (1964) Principles of pressure welding. Avtomatich. Svarka, 5, 21-27.
3. Karakozov, E.S. (1976) Solid-phase joining of metals. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
4. Sakhatsky, G.P. (1979) Technology of solid-phase welding of metals. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
5. Tylecote, R.F. (1994) Investigation on pressure welding. Brit. Welding J., 5, 117-134.
6. Arsenyuk, V.V., Gertsriken, D.S., Mazanko, V.F. et al. (2001) Peculiarities of atom distribution in metals under pulse action. Metallofizika i Nov. Tekhnologii, 23(9), 1203-1212.
7. Markashova, L.I., Grigorenko, G.M., Arsenyuk, V.V. (2001) Processes of plastic deformation, mass transfer, phase formation under the conditions of higher deformation rates. Ibid., 1259-1277.
8. Markashova, L.I., Arsenyuk, V.V., Berdnikova, E.N. et al. (2001) Peculiarities of vapor formation under the conditions of pressure welding of dissimilar materials at high deformation rates. Ibid., 10, 1403-1417.
9. Markashova, L.I., Arsenyuk, V.V., Grigorenko, G.M. (2002) Peculiarities of plastic deformation of dissimilar materials in pressure joining. The Paton Welding J., 5, 9-13.
10. Markashova, L.I., Arsenyuk, V.V., Grigorenko, G.M. et al. (2002) Mass transfer processes in pressure joining of dissimilar metals. Ibid., 7, 38-43.
11. Markashova, L.I., Arsenyuk, V.V., Grigorenko, G.M. et al. (2004) Peculiarities of mass transfer processes in pressure welding of dissimilar materials. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 4, 28-35.
12. Markashova, L.I., Arsenyuk, V.V., Grigorenko, G.M. (2004) Relation of plastic deformation in welding of dissimilar materials. Ibid., 8, 26-32.
13. Amonenko, V.M., Tron, A.S., Mukhin, V.V. et al. (1960) Vacuum rolling mill. Stal, 10, 920-922.
14. Amonenko, V.M., Tron, A.S., Mukhin, V.V. (1966) Producing of bimetals by vacuum rolling and their properties. Tsvet. Metally, 12, 78-81.
15. Skorobogatsky, I.N., Syropyatov, V.G., Tron, A.S. et al. (1976) Upgraded mill 300 for vacuum hot rolling of bimetals. Elektron. Tekhnika. Series Metals, Issue 2, 122-126.
16. Amonenko, V.M., Tron, A.S., Mukhin, V.V. (1968) Properties of nickel-copper and nickel-copper-nickel bimetals produced
by vacuum rolling. Tsvet. Metally, 9, 107-110.
17. Ivanov, V.E., Amonenko, V.M., Tron, A.S. (1978) Hightemperature vacuum rolling of metals, alloys and multilayer materials. Ukr. Fizich. Zhurnal, 23(11), 1782-1789.
18. Borts, B.V., Vanzha, A.F., Lopata, A.T. et al. (2005) Investigation of welding processes of multilayer structures from crystallites of different chemical composition with vacuum hot rolling. Voprosy Atomn. Nauki i Tekhniki. Series Physics of radiation damages and radiation materials science, 5(88), 156-158.
19. Manesh, D., Karimi Taheri, H.A. (2005) An investigation of deformation behavior and bonding strength of bimetal strip during rolling. Mechanics of Materials, 37, 531-542.
20. Zhao, D.S., Yan, J.C., Wang, Y. et al. (2009) Relative slipping of interface of titanium alloy to stainless steel during vacuum hot rollbonding. Materials Sci. and Eng. A, 499, 282-286.
21. Borts, B.V. (2009) Producing of composites by vacuum hot rolling. Voprosy Atomn. Nauki i Tekhniki. Series Physics of radiation damages and radiation materials science, 2(60), 128-134.
22. Gostomelsky, V.S., Rojtburd, A.L. (1986) Dislocation mass transfer near the interface of dissimilar materials at their plastic deformation. Doklady AN SSSR, 288(2), 366-369.
23. Evangelakis, G.A., Pontikis, V. (2008) Molecular dynamics study of Pb-substituted Cu(100) surface layers. J. Alloys and Compounds, 7, 221.
24. Borts, B.V. (2010) Investigation of relation between tensile strength of solid-phase joining boundary of dissimilar metals and their ductility. Voprosy Atomn. Nauki i Tekhniki. Series Physics of radiation damage and radiation materials science, 96(5), 108-118.
25. Rybin, V.V. (1986) High plastic deformation and fracture of metals. Moscow: Metallurgiya.