The Paton Welding Journal, 2013, #2, 37-41 pages
DEVELOPMENT OF THE TECHNOLOGY OF BRAZING DIAMOND-HARD ALLOY CUTTERS
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
Brazing temperature influence on performance of diamond-hard alloy plates (DHAP) and diamond-hard alloy cutters (DHAC) was studied. It is established that application of copper-zinc and copper-manganese filler metals for brazing the composite cutter is not optimum because of the high heating temperature that leads to marked degradation of physico-mechanical properties of DHAP diamond layer because of graphitization. Technology of brazing DHAP with hard alloy mandrel (HAM) was developed that ensures the required properties of the diamond layer as a cutting tool. Technology of DHAC brazing (DHAP + HAM) was developed allowing performance of DHAC brazing with HAM and preserving its service properties on a high level. A lot of attention was given to assessment of performance of DHAC diamond layer after heating for brazing by gauging of a certain rock. It is shown that the proposed technology of DHAC brazing with diamond layer cooling allows application of filler metals with more than 700 °C brazing temperature without loss of this layer performance. During investigations standard filler metals and those developed at the E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute were tested. Generalization of a set of tests led to the conclusion that Ag-Cu-Zn-Ni-Sn-Mn and Ag-Cu-Zn-Ni-Mn-Pd system filler metal are the most promising. Developed technology has been applied for items and tested under the actual service conditions. 9 Ref., 2 Tables, 4 Figures.
brazing, brazing filler metal, superhard materials, diamond layer, diamond-hard alloy cutter, diamond-hard alloy plate, hard alloy mandrel, graphitization, drill bit, thermal stability
1. TU 88.1244-91: Diamond-hard alloy cutter inserts. Kiev.
2. Novikov, N.V. (2005) Tools from superhard materials. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
3. Artyukhov, V.P., Pruss, O.P. (1997) Examination of brazing processes of diamond-hard alloy cutters. Sverkhtv. Materialy, 2, 38-43.
4. Najdich, Yu.V., Umansky, V.P., Lavrinenko, I.A. (1988) Strength of diamond-metallic contact and brazing of diamonds. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
5. Khorunov, V.F., Maksymova, S.V., Stefaniv, B.V. (2010) Manufacture of drill bits for production of dispersed methane in mine working. The Paton Welding J., 6, 41-43.
6. Khorunov, V.F., Maksymova, S.V., Stefaniv, B.V. (2010) Effect of tin additions on structure and technological properties of brazing filler metals of Ag-Cu-Zn system. Ibid., 7, 16-21.
7. Khorunov, V.F., Maksymova, S.V., Stefaniv, B.V. (2012) Effect of palladium on structure and technological properties of Ag-Cu-Zn-Ni-Mn system brazing filler alloys. Ibid., 9, 20-25.
8. Vologdin, V.V., Kushch, E.V. (1979) Induction brazing. Leningrad: Mashinostroenie.
9. STP 28.5 05417377 100-2003: Method for assessment of wear resistance of diamond-hard alloy inserts.