The Paton Welding Journal, 2014, #11, 46-49 pages
ELECTRON BEAM WELDING OF SHEET COMMERCIAL TITANIUM VT1-0, HARDENED BY NITROGEN IN THE PROCESS OF ARC-SLAG REMELTING, AND PROPERTIES OF PRODUCED JOINTS
V.Ya. SAENKO, A.A. POLISHKO, V.A. RYABININ and S.N. STEPANYUK
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU. 11 Bozhenko Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shown is the efficiency of application of electron beam welding (EBW) for producing full-strength welded joint of commercial titanium rolled metal of 35 mm thickness, hardened by nitrogen of up to 0.1 wt.% in the process of arc-slag remelting (ASR). Data of X-ray spectral analysis prove the uniform distribution of nitrogen, aluminium, titanium, iron, oxygen both in the ASR rolled metal and also in the welded joint. Metallographic examinations confirmed the producing of quality welded joint without cracks, pores and other defects. Weld metal and base metal are characterized by a homogeneous structure. The uniform distribution of hardness HB and microhardness HV was observed both in the sheet commercial titanium and also in the welded joint. At content of nitrogen of up to 0.1 wt.% in titanium the hard inclusions of titanium nitride are absent both in the sheet ASR rolled metal and also in the weld metal made by the EBW. 13 Ref., 5 Figures.
commercial titanium, arc-slag remelting, titanium hardening with nitrogen from gas phase, sheet rolled metal, electron beam welding, macro- and microstructure, mechanical properties of welded joint
1. Paton, B.E., Medovar, B.I., Lakomsky, V.I. et al. Method of consumable electrode remelting. USSR author's cert. 520784. Int. Cl. C21C5/56. Fill. 09.08.74. Publ. 30.05.82.
2. Paton, B.E., Medovar, B.I., Saenko, V.Ya. et al. (1992) Arc-slag remelting of titanium and titanium alloys. In: Proc. of Int. Symp. (USA, CA, June 29-July 2, 1982), Vol. 3, 2429-2431.
3. Medovar, B.I., Shepelev, V.V., Saenko, V.Ya. et al. (1992) Arc-slag remelting of titanium and titanium alloys. Problemy Spets. Elektrometallurgii, 2, 13-15.
4. Paton, B.E., Medovar, B.I., Saenko, V.Ya. et al. (1994) Remelting of spongy titanium consumable electrodes by ESR and ASR methods. Ibid., 3/4, 7-11.
5. Paton, B.E., Saenko, V.Ya., Pomarin, Yu.M. et al. (2002) Possibilities of arc-slag remelting as one of the methods of special electrometallurgy. In: Proc. of Int. Sci.-Techn. Conf. on Special Electrometallurgy: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow (Kiev, 8-9 Oct. 2002), 123-137. Kyiv: Politekhnika.
6. Medovar, L.B., Saenko, V.Ya., Fedorovsky, B.B. (2007) Arc-slag remelting of titanium and its alloys. In: Proc. of Int. Conf. on Titanium in CIS (Yalta, 15-18 April 2007), 177-180.
7. Medovar, L.B., Saenko, V.Ya., Ryabinin, V.A. et al. (2010) Improvement of arc-slag remelting of titanium and its alloys. Titan, 3, 15-19.
8. Kolachev, B.A., Livanov, V.A., Bukhanova, A.A. (1974) Mechanical properties of titanium and its alloys. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
9. (1980) ASM metals handbook, Vol. 3. Ohio: ASM.
10. Medovar, B.I., Saenko, V.Ya., Kumysh, V.I. et al. (1994) Hardening of titanium by nitrogen alloying from gas phase during arc-slag remelting. Problemy Spets. Elektrometallurgii, 3/4, 12-17.
11. Medovar, B.I., Saenko, V.Ya., Grigorenko, G.M. et al. (1996) Arc-slag remelting of steel and alloys. Cambridge: Int. Sci. Publ.
12. Grigorenko, G.M., Pomarin, Yu.M., Orlovsky, V.Yu. et al. (2008) On dissolution of TiN solid particles in molten titanium during melting. Advances in Electrometallurgy, 2, 45-47.
13. Aleksandrov, A.V., Prudkovsky, B.A. (2005) Different aspects of titanium and its alloys. Titan, 1, 64-70.
TPWJ, 2014, #11, 46-49 pages