TPWJ, 2014, #12, 32-35 pages
Flash-butt welding of thin-walled profiles of heat-hardened aluminium alloysflash-butt welding of thin-walled profiles of heat-hardened aluminium alloys
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 12, 2014 (December)
P.N. Chvertko, L.A. Semyonov, K.V. Gushchin
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU. 11 Bozhenko Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Thin-walled profiles of high-strength aluminium alloys have found application in longitudinal load-carrying elements of flying vehicles and other critical structures. In industry, the serial profiles, heat-treated for maximum strength, are used, that excludes the feasibility of their welding by fusion arc methods. The problem of producing the welded joints of the above-mentioned load-carrying elements in solid phase is urgent. The present work is aimed at the study of formation of thin-walled profile joints of dissimilar (AK6+ D16) and similar (V95) heat-hardened aluminium alloys in the flash-butt continuous welding. Peculiarities of the resistance flash-butt welding with formation of joints during upsetting with extrusion were investigated and basic technology was developed, which is used for producing joints of aluminium alloy parts. This technology allows increasing greatly the quality of welded joints of this group of alloys, and also widening the range of thicknesses of metal, being joined by the flash-butt welding. Given are the main parameters of the flash-butt continuous welding modes. Strength properties of welded joints are not less than 90 % of the base metal strength. 6 Ref., 8 Figures.
flash-butt welding, continuous flashing, upsetting, formation of joints, aluminium alloys
1. Nikolaev, G.A., Fridlyander, I.N., Arbuzov, Yu.P. (1990) Aluminium alloys to be welded. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
2. (1973) Aluminium alloys. Application of aluminium alloys: Manual. Ed. by A.T. Tumanov, I.N., Fridlyander. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
3. (1984) Commercial aluminium alloys: Refer. Book. Ed. by F.I. Kvasov, I.N. Fridlyander. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
4. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Chvertko, P.N., Semyonov, L.A. et al. (2010) Peculiarities of flash butt welding of high-strength aluminium alloy 2219. The Paton Welding J., 3, 7-9.
5. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I. (1992) Flash-butt welding. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
6. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Chvertko, P.N., Semyonov, L.A. et al. (2013) Flash butt welding of products of high-strength alloys based on aluminium. The Paton Welding J., 7, 2-6.