TPWJ, 2015, #2, 2-6 pages
CONCERNING REQUIREMENTS TO IMPACT TOUGHNESS OF JOINTS OF PIPELINES PRODUCED USING FLASH BUTT WELDING
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 2, 2015 (February)
V.I. Kyrian, S.I. Kuchuk-Yatsenko And B.I. Kazymov
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU. 11 Bozhenko Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
To provide serviceability of joints of pipelines produced using flash butt welding (FBW) alongside with the condition of strength the requirement to impact toughness KCV is set forth. Its level is established according to the requirements to the joints produced using arc welding methods, for which the probability of appearance of crack-like defects in them is peculiar. Absence of even preconditions to formation of cracks in the FB-welded joints allows initiating the review of requirements to impact toughness. As the standard level the KCV value is offered, which is reliably provided at optimum mode of FBW performance. The sufficiency of such KCV level is proved by reliable many-years practice in operation of different-purpose pipelines without fractures, including main pipelines of large diameter (up to 1420 mm). For the given KCV value at the working circumferential stresses in the pipeline and axial ones equal to half of their value, the critical sizes of hypothetic through longitudinal and circumferential cracks are calculated. Their sufficient sizes prove in appropriateness of such approach. 20 Ref., 3 Figures.
flash butt welding, typical defects of FBW, impact toughness, requirements, critical sizes of hypothetic cracks
1. Nickols, R.U., Cowen, A. (1977) Selection of material and problems of design of large steel structures taking into account the strength of material to brittle fracture. In: Fracture. Vol. 5: Design of structures on brittle strength, 210-258. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
2. Anuchkin, M.P., Goritsky, V.N., Miroshnichenko, B.I. (1986) Pipes for main pipelines. Moscow: Nedra.
3. Polyansky, R.P., Pasternak, V.I. (1979) Pipes for oil and gas industry abroad. Moscow: Nedra.
4. (1985) Steels for gas pipeline pipes and fittings: Proc. of Conf. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
5. GOST 25.506-85: Determination of characteristics of crack resistance (fracture toughness) under static loading. Introd. 01.01.86.
6. Girenko, V.S., Dyadin, V.P. (1985) Relation between impact toughness and fracture mechanics criteria d1c and K1c of structural steels and their welded joints. Avtomatich. Svarka, 9, 13-20.
7. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I. (1992) Flash butt welding. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
8. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Kirian, V.I., Kazymov, B.I. et al. (2006) Methodology for control of fitness for purpose of flash butt welded joints in pipelines. The Paton Welding J., 10, 2-6.
9. Shcherbinsky, V.G., Alyokhin, N.P. (2000) Ultrasonic testing of welded joints. Moscow: N.E. Bauman MGTU.
10. GOST 7512-82: Non-destructive testing, welded joints, radiographic method. Introd. 01.01.98.
11. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Kazymov, B.I., Radko, V.P. (1996) Complex testing of joints produced by automatic flash butt welding. Tekhn. Diagnostika i Nerazrush. Kontrol, 4, 46-50.
12. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Kazymov, B.I., Zagadarchuk, V.F. et al. (1984) Formation of «dead spots» in resistance butt welded joints. Avtomatich. Svarka, 11, 23-26.
13. (1999) API standard 1104: Welding of pipelines and related facilities ASME boiler and pressure vessel. 19 ed.
14. SP 105-34-96: Fulfillment of welding jobs and testing of welded joints. Introd. 01.10.96.
15. Trufyakov, V.I., Mazur, V.G., Zhemchuzhnikov, G.V. et al. (1987) Influence of some defects on strength of butt joints produced by resistance welding. Avtomatich. Svarka, 2, 7-9.
16. Finkel, V.M., Elesina, O.P., Fedorov, V.A. et al. (1971) Elastic stresses around nonmetallic inclusions. Metallovedenie i Term. Obrab. Metallov, 7, 55-61.
17. Fridman, Ya.B. (1974) Mechanical properties of metals. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
18. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Kirian, V.I., Kazymov, B.I. et al. (2008) Peculiarities of impact toughness tests of automatic flash butt welded joints on pipes. The Paton Welding J., 10, 5-10.
19. Osadchuk, V.A. (1980) On criterion of propagation of longitudinal and transverse cracks in closed cylindrical shells. Izvestiya AN SSSR. Mekhanika Tv. Tela, 4, 151-159.
20. Borodavkin, P.P., Sinyukov, A.M. (1984) Strength of main pipelines. Moscow: Nedra.