TPWJ, 2015, #7, 3-9 pages
Vacuum diffusion welding of stainless steel through porous nickel interlayers
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 7, 2015 (July)
A.I. Ustinov, Yu.V. Falchenko, T.V. Melnichenko, L.V. Petrushinets, K.V. Lyapina And A.E. Shishkin
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU. 11 Bozhenko Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Features of formation of permanent joints by diffusion welding through an intermediate interlayer based on porous nickel, produced by vapour phase vacuum deposition (EB PVD) were studied in the case of stainless steel Kh18N10T. It is shown that application of vacuum porous nickel condensates promotes lowering of temperature-force parameters of diffusion welding (welding temperature of 800 °C + cyclic load with 20 MPa amplitude). Such an influence of the interlayer on the conditions of producing the welded joints is associated with superplastic behaviour of porous nickel and its non-equilibrium structure (small grain size and presence of vacancy type defects). It is established that pore healing in the interlayer is observed and diffusion processes between the interlayer and stainless steel are activated during diffusion welding. This results in formation of a defectfree zone of the joint based on nickel, alloyed with iron and chromium with strength properties only slightly different from those of base metal. 18 Ref., 6 Figures.
diffusion welding, stainless steel, intermediate layer, porous nickel interlayer, temperature-force parameter, foil deformation behaviour
- Musin, R.A., Antsiferov, V.N., Kvasnitsky, V.F. (1979) Diffusion welding of heat-resistant alloys. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
- Bakshi, O.A. (1965) On stress state of soft interlayers in welded joints under tension (compression). Voprosy Svarochn. Proizvodstva: Transact. of ChPI, 33-35, 36.
- Musin, R.A., Lyamin, Ya.V. (1991) Application of perforated interlayers in diffusion welding. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 2, 2-4.
- Lyamin, Ya.V., Karakozov, E.S., Musin, R.A. Method of pressure welding with heating. USSR author's cert. 1463415. Int. Cl. B23 K20/16. Publ. 30.01.89.
- Bokshtejn, S.Z. (1971) Structure and properties of metal alloys. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
- Lyushinsky, A.V. (2006) Diffusion welding of dissimilar metals. Moscow: Akademiya.
- Movchan, B.A. (1998) Inorganic materials deposited from vapor phase in vacuum. In: Modern materials science of 21st century, 318-332. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
- Ustinov, A.I., Lyapina, K.V., Melnichenko, T.V. et al. (2008) Influence of substrate temperature on formation of porous structure in stainless steel in case of its deposition with NaCl and KCl vapors. Advances in Electrometallurgy, 1, 8-11.
- Novikov, V.G. (1973) Development of technology of vacuum diffusion welding of electromagnet casings. In: Proc. of 7th All-Union Sci.-Techn. Conf. on Diffusion Vacuum Joining of Metals, Alloys and Nonmetallic Materials, 102-106.
- Gelman, A.S., Bolshakov, M.V. (1967) Effect of oxide films on joint formation in pressure welding of metals. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 10, 23-26.
- Kozakov, N.F. (1976) Diffusion welding of materials. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
- Konyushkov, G.V., Kopylov, Yu.N. (1974) Diffusion welding in electronics. Moscow: Energiya.
- Ustinov, A.I., Lyapina, K.V., Melnichenko, T.V. (2005) Regularities of stainless steel porous structure formation during its deposition from vapor phase in presence of sodium chloride vapors. Advances in Electrometallurgy, 4, 19-24.
- Ustinov, A.I., Matvienko, Ya.I., Polishchuk, S.S. et al. (2009) Investigation of phase transformations and plastic deformation at continuous heating of Al/Cu multilayer foil. The Paton Welding J., 10, 23-27.
- Firstov, S.A., Gorban, V.F., Pechkovsky, E.P. et al. (2007) Equation of indentation. Dopovidi NANU, 12, 100-106.
- Cahoon, J.R., Broughton, W.H., Kutzak, A.R. (1971) The determination of yield strength from hardness measurements. Metallurg. Transact., 2(7), 1979-1983.
- Kuznetsova, R.I., Bryukhovetsky, V.V., Pojda, V.P. et al. (1995) Mechanism of development of grain boundary pores and local heterogeneity of deformation under superplastic flow conditions. Metallofizika i Nov. Tekhnologii, 17(8), 64-72.