The Paton Welding Journal, 2018, #3, 20-24 pages
Influence of rare-earth elements on the structure and properties of welds of vt22 titanium alloy
S.L. Schwab, I.K. Petrychenko And S.V. Akhonin
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The paper presents the results of investigations of the influence of rare-earth metal fluorides on structural changes in weld metal of titanium alloy VT22 for the purpose of using them in the flux filler of experimental flux-cored wire for welding this alloy. It was shown that refinement of b-grains is observed in welds made by argon-arc welding of VT22 alloy over a layer of flux, consisting of rare-earth metal fluorides. Addition of LaF3
to the core of experimental flux-cored titanium wire PPT-22 in combination with heat treatment allowed increasing the impact toughness of welds in argon-arc welding of VT22 alloy 2 times up to 30.6 J/cm2
. 8 Ref., 4 Tables, 5 Figures.
VT22 titanium alloy, rare-earth metal, fluorides, flux-cored wire
- (2003) Titanium and titanium alloys. Fundamentals and applications. Ed. by C. Leyens. Germany, Wiley-VCH. https://doi.org/10.1002/3527602119
- Inozemtsev, A.A., Bashkatov, I.G., Koryakovtsev, A.S. (2010) Modern titanium alloys and problems of their development. Moscow, VIAM [in Russian].
- Gurevich, S.M., Zamkov, V.N., Blashchuk, V.E. et al. (1986) Metallurgy and technology of welding of titanium and its alloys. 2nd ed. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
- (1977) Diagrams of meltability of salt systems: Refer. book; Pt 1. Ed. by Posypajko, V.I. et al. Moscow, Metallurgiya [in Russian].
- Prilutsky, V.P., Schvab, S.L., Petrychenko, I.K. et al. (2016) Argon arc welding of titanium VT22 alloy using filler fluxcored wire. The Paton Welding J., 9, 9–13. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.09.02
- Gurevich, S.M., Zamkov, V.N., Zagrebenyuk, S.D. et al. (1964) Influence of fluxes containing rare-earth elements on structure and properties of welds of VT15 alloy. Svarka, 4, 93–94 [in Russian].
- Grabin, V.F. (1975) Basics of physical metallurgy and heat treatment of welded joints from titanium alloys. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
- Lyasotskaya, V.S. (2003) Heat treatment of welded joints from titanium alloys. Moscow, Ekomet [in Russian].