TPWJ, 2018, #4, 14-18 pages
Peculiarities of flash-butt welding of rail frogs with rail ends
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #4, 2018 (April)
A.V. Kavunichenko, V.I. Shvets and E.V. Antipin
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Producing of quality welded joints of rail frogs of steel 110G13L with rail ends without an intermediate insert is still an urgent problem. The results of investigations of formation of welded joints of rail steel M76 with steel 110G13L made by the flash-butt welding without an austenitic insert. are presented. It was shown that in the near-contact layer of rail steel, the high-alloy unstable austenite, fringed with carbides, is formed. It was established that localization of internal stresses and the presence of embrittling structures are the cause of a low deflection at the required fracture force of welded joints. 7 Ref., 2 Tables, 9 Figures.
flash-butt welding, steel 110G13L, rail steel M76, microstructure, heat treatment, nonmetallic inclusions, internal stresses, mechanical properties, carbides, unstable austenite
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Shvets, V.I., Gordan, G.N. et al. (2006) Features of formation of structure of joints of rail steel M76 to steel 110G13L made by flash-butt welding. The Paton Welding J., 1, 2–8.
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Shvets, Yu.V., Dumchev, E.A. et al. (2005) Flash-butt welding of railway frogs with rail ends using an intermediate insert. , 1, 2–4.
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Didkovsky, O.V., Bogorsky, M.V. et al. (2002) Method of flash-butt welding. Ukraine, Pat. 46820. Int. Cl. B23K 11/04 [in Ukrainian].
- Gruzin, P.L., Grigorkin, V.I., Moskaleva, L.N., Mural, V.V. (1969) Transformations in austenitic manganese steel. Metallovedenie i Termich. Metallov, 1, 5–9 [in Russian].
- Tkachenko, F.K., Efremenko, V.G. (1990) Structure and phase transformations in wrought high-manganese steel. Ibid., 2, 8–10 [in Russian].
- (2006) TU U 27.3-26524137-1342:2006: Frogs and cores with welded-up rail ends of R65, R50 and UIC60 types. Specification [in Ukrainian].
- (2012) DIN EN 14587-3:2012: Railway applications — Track-flash butt welding of rails. Pt 3: Welding in association with crossing construction.