TPWJ, 2018, #10, 37-40 pages
Application of thermal spraying methods for manufacture of resistive coatings (Review)
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #10, 2018 (December)
Yu.S. Borisov, S.G. Voinarovych, O.M. Kyslytsia, S.M. Kaliuzhnyi and Ie.K. Kuzmych-Ianchuk
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The review describes the experience of applying thermal spraying methods in manufacture of resistive coatings, as well as the use of appropriate materials containing different alloys and oxides. The positive results of producing resistors by the method of plasma spraying were obtained, providing a service life of more than 10 thou h at a temperature of 150 °C. The examples of practical application of resistive heating elements directly on the working surfaces of parts, requiring preheating to 400–500 °C, by the methods of thermal spraying were considered. The effective application of thermal spraying of resistive coatings on the products of electronic industry is shown, the specifics of which is associated with providing heating of local areas with a minimal thermal effect on the substrate. The advantages and prospects of developments of thermal spraying technology in producing of resistive coatings in different fields of engineering (electrical engineering, electronics, instrument engineering, etc.) are noted. 17 Ref., 6 Figures.
resistive coatings, thermal spraying, resistor, resistive heating element, electronics, electrical engineering
1. Borisov, Yu.S., Borisova, A.L. (1986) Plasma powder coatings. Kiev, Tekhnika [in Russian].
2. Lyasnikov, V.N., Ukrainsky, V.S., Bogatyryov, G.F. (1985) Plasma spraying of coatings in production of electronic engineering products. Saratov, Sarat. Un-t [in Russian].
3. Sanjay Sampath (2010) Thermal spray applications in electronics and sensors: past, present, and future. J. Thermal Spray Technol., 19(5), 921–949. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11666-010-9475-2
4. Vardelle, A., Moreau, C. et al. (2016) The 2016 Thermal Spray Roadmap. Ibid., 25(8), 1376–1440. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11666-016-0473-x
5. Smyth, R.T., Andersen, J. C. (1976) Electronic circuit production by arc plasma spraying. In: Proc. of Int. Thermal Spray Conf., American Welding Society, Miami, FL, 456–463.
6. Mac Crone, R. K., Herman, Н. (1984) Thermal spray fabrication of electrical conductor. Insulator Systems, Rensselaer Polytechnic and State University of New York аt Stony Brook.
7. Michels, D., Hadeler, J., Lienhard, J. H. (1998) High-heat-flux resistance heaters from VPS and HVOF thermal spraying. Exp. Heat Transfer, 11, 341–359. https://doi.org/10.1080/08916159808946570
8. Prudenziati, М., Gualtieri, M. L. (2008) Electrical properties of thermally sprayed Ni- and Ni20Cr-based resistors. J. Thermal Spray Technol., 17(3), 385–394. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11666-008-9187-z
9. Killinger, A., Gadow, R. (2006) Thermally sprayed coating composites for film heating devices. Adv. Sci. Technol., 45, 1230–1239.
10. Mitchell, D., Kulkarni, A., Roesch, E. et al. (2008) Development and F-class industrial gas turbine engine testing of smart components with direct write embedded sensors and high temperature wireless telemetry. In: Proc. of ASME Turbo Expo 2008: Power for Land, Sea and Air (June 9–13 Berlin 2008, Germany), GT2008-51533. https://doi.org/10.1115/GT2008-51533
11. Liang, S., Ravi, B. G., Sampath, S., Gambino, R. J. (2006) Microstructure and electrical characteristics of plasma sprayed thick film Mn–Co–Ni oxide thermistor. In: Proc. of Materials Research Symposia of State University of New York аt Stony Brook, 900E, 0900-O06-41.1-6.
12. Griffen, L.A., Dyadechko, A.G. et al. (1990) Heating elements for fittings produced by thermal powder spraying. Poroshk. Metallurgiya, 5, 102–104 [in Russian].
13. Smyth, R. T., Anderson J. C. (1976) Electronic circuit production by arc plasma spraying. In: Proc. ITSC 8th Int. Thermal Spraying Conf. (September 28–October 1, Miamie Beach), 456–463.