TPWJ, 2019, #4, 11-18 pages
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #4, 2019 (April)
Calculation of thermal fields during joining aluminium plates through interlayers at local heating of the joint zone
M.V. Kulinich1, T.V. Zaporozhets2, A.M. Gusak2 and A.I. Ustinov1
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Bogdan Khmelnytsky National University of Cherkassy
81 Shevchenko Blvd., 18000, Cherkassy, Ukraine
The work presents the results of numerical modeling of thermal fields in the zone of joining aluminium plates through interlayers during local heating of the joint zone by a flat heater, contacting one of the plates. Layers consisting of braze alloy, multilayer reactive foil or layers of both types were considered as an interlayer. Calculation was carried out considering the thermal-physical characteristics of the material of plates, interlayer and heater, consisting of multilayer reactive foils, in which a reaction of self-propagating high-temperature synthesis is accompanied by intensive heat evolution. Conditions of local heating of the aluminium plates necessary for obtaining permanent joints during their brazing or welding through an interlayer were studied. 14 Ref., 1 Table, 11 Figures.
brazing, welding, aluminium alloys, braze alloy, multilayer foil, thermal fields, local heating, permanent joint
1. Ishchenko, A.Ya. (2004) Specifics in application of aluminium high-strength alloys for welded structures. The Paton Welding J., 9, 15-25.
2. Krivtsun, I.V., Kvasnytsky, V.V., Maksymov, S.Yu., Ermolaev, G.V. (2017) Special methods of welding. Ed. by B.E. Paton. Mykolaiv, NUK [in Ukrainian].
3. Ishchenko, A.Ya. (2002) Investigation and development of the technology of light alloy welding at the PWI. The Paton Welding J., 12, 25-26.
4. Subramanian, J.S., Rodgers, P., Newson, J. (2005) Room temperature soldering of microelectronic components for enhanced thermal performance. In: Proc. of 6th. Int. Conf. on Thermal, Mechanical and Multiphysics Simulation and Experiments in Micro-Electronics and Micro-Systems «EuroSimE». Berlin, 681-686. https://doi.org/10.1109/ESIME.2005.1502888
5. Ramos, A.S., Vieira, M.T., Simões, S. et al. (2010) Reactionassisted diffusion bonding of advanced materials. Defect and Diffusion Forum. 297-301, 972-977. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/DDF.297-301.972
6. Weihs, T., Barmak, K., Coffey, K. (2014) Fabrication and characterization of reactive multilayer films and foils. Metallic Films for Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Applications: Structure, Processing and Properties, 40, 160-243. https://doi.org/10.1533/9780857096296.1.160
7. Seshadri, R. (2000) Centrifugal casting of metals and ceramics using thermite reactions. Metals Materials and Processes, 12, 233-240.
8. Kravtchuk, M.V., Ustinov, A.I. (2015) Influence of thermodynamic and structural parameters of multilayer foils on SHS process characteristics. The Paton Welding J., 8, 8-13. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2015.08.02
9. Knepper, R., Snyder, M., Fritz, G. et al. (2009) Effect of varying bilayer spacing distribution on reaction heat and velocity in reactive Al/Ni multilayers. J. of Applied Physics, 105, 083504-1-083504-9. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3087490
10. Zaporozhets, T.V., Gusak, A.M., Ustinov, A.I. (2010) Modeling of stationary mode of SHS reaction in nanolayer materials (phenomenological model). 1. Single-stage reaction. Sovrem. Elektrometall., 1, 40-46 [in Russian].
11. Kulinich, M.V., Bezpalchuk, V.M., Kosintsev, S.G. et al. (2018) Calculation-experimental investigation of thermal fields in the process of nonstationary soldering. The Paton Welding J., 1, 14-19. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2018.01.03
12. Zaporozhets, T.V., Korol, Ya.D. (2016) Approach of inverse problem for prediction of characteristics of self-propagating high-temperature synthesis in multilayer foils taking into account competitive phase formation. Metallofiz. i Novejshie Tekhnologii, 38(11), 1541-1560 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/mfint.38.11.1541
13. Umansky, Ya.S., Finkelshtejn, B.N. et al. (1958) Physical metals science. Moscow, Metallurgizdat [in Russian].
14. Ustinov, A.I., Kuzmenko, D.N., Kravchuk, M.V., Korol, Ya.D. (2015) Initiation of thermal explosion in Ti/Al nanofoils. Int. J. of SHS, 24(2), 72-77. https://doi.org/10.3103/S1061386215020090