TPWJ, 2019, #6, 54-58 pages
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #6, 2019 (June)
Investigation of conditions of deep penetration in manufacture of samples of heat-resistant alloy Inconel 718 by the method of selective laser melting
S.V. Adzhamsky1 and A.A. Kononenko2
O. Gonchar Dnipro National University
72 Gagarin Ave., 49000, Dnipro, Ukraine E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
LLC «Additive Laser Technology of Ukraine»
144 Rybinskaya Str., 49000, Dnipro, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Z.I. Nekrasov Iron & Steel Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
1 Academician Starodubov Square, 49000, Dnipro, Ukraine.E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The relationship was established between the parameters of selective laser melting process (laser power and distance between tracks) and microstructure of samples of alloy Inconel 718 at the condition of applying a small diameter beam (0.05 mm). Using the method of selective laser melting, the samples of alloy Inconel 718 were manufactured in the installation ALT Alfa-150 of the LLC «Additive Laser Technology of Ukraine» production. For the first series of samples the alternating laser power was preset in the range of 150–250 W, and for the second series the distance was changed between tracks in the interval of 0.09–0.13 mm. Examination of microstructure was made in optical microscope AXIOVERT 200M MAT. The problems of effect of parameters of selective laser melting process (laser power, distance between tracks) on structure of Inconel 718 material were considered. From the results of work the relationships between the parameters of selective laser melting process and depth and width of the melt pool were determined. The conditions of a deep penetration with a formation of large pores were determined. 20 Ref., 1 Table, 6 Figures.
additive technologies, selective laser melting, powder materials, heat-resistant nickel alloys, Inconel 718, melt pool, conditions of deep penetration
1. Zlenko, M.A., Nagajtsev, M.V., Dovbysh, V.M. (2015) Additive technologies in mechanical engineering. Moscow, NAMI [in Russian].
2. Campanelli, S.L., Contuzzi, N., Angelastro, A., Ludovico, A.D. (2010) Capabilities and Performances of the Selective Laser Melting 279. Process: New Trends in Technologies: Devices, Computer, Communication and Industrial Systems, 233-252.
3. Huzel, D.K., Huang, D.H. (1967) Design of Liquid Propellant Rocket Engines. Huston, National Aerospace and Space Administration.
4. Babakova, E.V., Khimich, M.A., Saprykin, A.A., Ibragimov, E.A. (2016) Application of selective laser melting for producing of low modulus alloy of Ti-Nb system. Vestnik PNIPU, 18(1), 117-131 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.15593/2224-9877/2016.1.08
5. Kempen, K., Thijs, L., Van Humbeeck, J., Kruth, J.-P. (2012) Mechanical properties of AlSi10Mg produced by SLM. Physics Procedia, 39, 439-446. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phpro.2012.10.059
6. Olakanmi, E.O. (2013). Selective laser sintering/melting (SLS/SLM) of pure Al, Al-Mg, and Al-Si powders: Effect of processing conditions and powder properties. J. Mater. Process. Technol., 213, 1387-1405. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2013.03.009
7. (1983) GOST 25849-83: Metallic powders. Method for determination of particle shape. Moscow, Standarty [in Russian].
8. Louvis, E., Fox, P., Sutcliffe, Ch.J. (2011) Selective laser melting of aluminium components. J. Mater. Process. Technol., 211, 275-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2010.09.019
9. Olakanmi, E.O., Dalgarno, K.W., Cochrane, R.F. (2012). Laser sintering of blended AlSi powders. Rapid Prototyping J., 18(2), 109-119. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552541211212096
10. Aboulkhair, N.T., Everitt, N.M., Ashcroft I., Tuck Ch. (2014) Reducing porosity in AlSi10Mg parts processed by selective laser melting. Additive Manufacturing J., 1-4, 77-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addma.2014.08.001
11. Yadroitsev, I., Krakhmalev, P., Yadroitsava, I. et al. (2013) Energy input effect on morphology and microstructure of selective laser melting single track from metallic powder. J. Mater. Process. Technol., 213, 606-613. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2012.11.014
12. Maamoun, A.H., Xue, Yi F., Elbestawi M.A., Veldhuis S.C. (2018) Effect of selective laser melting process parameters on the quality of Al alloy parts: Powder characterization, density, surface roughness, and dimensional accuracy. Materials, 11, 2343, doi:10.3390/ma11122343. https://doi.org/10.3390/ma11122343
13. Calignano, F., Manfredi, D., Ambrosio, E.P. et al. (2013) Influence of process parameters on surface roughness of aluminum parts produced by DMLS. Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., 67, 2743-2751. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-012-4688-9
14. Koutiri, I., Pessard, E., Peyre, P. et al. (2018) Influence of SLM process parameters on the surface finish, porosity rate and fatigue behavior of as-built Inconel 625 parts. J. Mater. Process. Techn., 255, 536-546. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2017.12.043
15. Tucho, W.M., Lysne, V.H., Austbø, H. et al. (2018) Investigation of effects of process parameters on microstructure and hardness of SLM manufactured SS316L. J. Alloys Compd., 740, 910-925. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2018.01.098
16. Kurzynowski, T., Gruber, K., Stopyra, W. et al. (2018) Correlation between process parameters, microstructure and properties of 316 L stainless steel processed by selective laser melting. Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 718, 64-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2018.01.103
17. Liverani, E., Toschi, S., Ceschini, L., Fortunato, A. (2017) Effect of selective laser melting (SLM) process parameters on microstructure and mechanical properties of 316L austenitic stainless steel. J. Mater. Process. Technol., 249, 255-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2017.05.042
18. Amara, E.H., Fabbro, R. (2008) Modelling of gas jet effect on the melt pool movements during deep penetration laser welding. J. of Physics D: Applied Physics, 41, 10. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/41/5/055503. https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/41/5/055503
19. Sukhov, D.I., Mazalov, P.B., Nerush, S.V., Khodyrev, N.A. (2017) Effect of parameters of selective laser melting on pore formation in synthesized material of corrosion-resistant steel. Trudy VIAM, 8, 34-44 [in Russian].
20. Gu, D.D., Shi, Q.M., Lin, K.J., Xia, L.X. (2018) Microstructure and performance evolution and underlying thermal mechanisms of Ni-based parts fabricated by selective laser melting. Addit. Manuf., 22, 265-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addma.2018.05.019