TPWJ, 2019, #11, 19-22 pages
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #11, 2019 (November)
Investigation of electrical and thermal characteristics of plasmatron for microplasma spraying of coatings from powder materials
Yu.S. Borisov, S.G. Voinarovych, A.N. Kyslytsia, E.K. Kuzmych-Ianchuk and S.N. Kaliuzhnyi
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
The volt-ampere characteristics were studied and the thermal efficiency of the MP-04 plasmatron for the installation of microplasma spraying MPN-004 was determined under the conditions of formation of a laminar argon microplasma jet. The range of operating voltages of the plasmatron was determined and a family of volt-ampere characteristics was plotted, each of which was taken at the constant composition and flow rate of working gas, length of open region of the arc and constant design dimensions of the plasmatron. Analysis of the experimental results shows that volt-ampere characteristics of the MP-04 plasmatron are ascending and linear. It was established that at operating values of current and flow rate of plasma-forming gas, the voltage is in the range of 22–32 V. The thermal efficiency of the plasmatron, the bulk mean initial enthalpy and the temperature of plasma jet were determined depending on the arc current and flow rate of plasma-forming gas by the method of heat flow calorimetry. It was found that under the conditions of microplasma powder spraying process, thermal efficiency of the plasmatron is in the range of 30–55 % and at gas flow rates, exceeding 40 l/h, it practically does not change with the change in current. 16 Ref., 1 Table, 7 Figures.
Keywords: microplasma spraying, argon plasma jet, volt-ampere characteristics of plasmatron, temperature and enthalpy of plasma jet, thermal efficiency, voltage and current of plasma arc, plasma-forming gas flow rate
1. Borisov, Yu., Borisova, A., Pereverzev, Yu., Ramaekers, P.P.J. (1997) Microplasma spraying. In: Proc. of 5th Europ. Conf. on Advanced Material and Processes. Netherlands, 237-241.
2. Borisov, Yu.S., Pereverzev, Yu.N., Bobrik, V.G. , Vojnarovich, S.G. (1999) Deposition of narrow-strip coatings by microplasma spraying method. Avtomatich. Svarka, 6, 53-55 [in Russian].
3. Borisov, Yu.S., Vojnarovych, S.G. et al. (2002) Plasmatron for coating deposition. Pat. Ukraine 2002076032UA, Int. Cl. B23K10/00 [in Ukrainian].
4. Borisov, Yu.S., Kyslytsia, O.M., Voinarovych, S.G. et al. (2018) Investigation of plasmatron electric and energy characteristics in microplasma spraying with wire materials. The Paton Welding J., 9, 18-22. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2018.09.04
5. Zheenbaev, Zh., Engelsht, V.S. (1975) Laminar plasmatron. Frunze, Ilim [in Russian].
6. Koroteev, A.S. (1980) Electric arc plasmatrons. Moscow, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
7. Borisov, Yu.S., Kharlamov, Yu.A. et al. (1987) Thermal coatings of powder materials. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
8. Paton, B.E., Gvozdetsky, V.S., Dudko, D.A. et al. (1979) Microplasma welding. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
9. (2007) Software CASPSP-3.12 for computer modeling of plasma spraying process. Avtomatich. Svarka, 5, 5-6 [in Russian].
10. Engelsht, V.S., Gurovich, V.Ts., Desyatkov, G.A. et al. (1990) Theory of electric arc column. Low-temperature plasma. Vol. 1. Novosibirsk, Nauka [in Russian].
11. Grey, J., Jackobs, P. (1964) Rocket technique and cosmonautics, 3, 25.
12. Elyashevich, M.A. (1970) Problems of physics of low-temperature plasma. Ed. by M.A. Elyashevich. Ins-te of Physics of AS BSSR. Minsk, Nauka i Tekhnika [in Russian].
13. Abdrazakov, A., Zheenbaev, Zh., Karikh, F.G. (1968) Investigation of electric arc and plasmatron. Frunze, Ilim [in Russian].
14. Krasnov, A.N., Zilberberg, V.T., Sharivker, S.Yu. (1970) Low-temperature plasma in metallurgy. Metallurgiya [in Russian].
15. Morenov, A.I., Petrov, A.V. (1967) Determination of velocities and pulsations of jet in plasmatrons for coating deposition. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 2, 3-6 [in Russian].
16. Tankin, R.S., Berry, J.M. (1964) Experimental investigation of radiation from an argon. Phys. of Fluids, 7, 1620-1624. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1711067