TPWJ, 2020, #1, 2-13 pages
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #1, 2020 (February)
Processes of nonconsumable electrode welding with welding current modulation (review) part iii. modeling of the processes of TIG welding by modulated current
Boyi Wu1 and I.V. Krivtsun2
Guangdong Institute of Welding (China-Ukraine E.O. Paton Institute of Welding)
363 Chiansin Str., 510650, Guangzhou, Tianhe. E-mail: email@example.com
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
A review of investigations devoted to the processes of inert-gas nonconsumable electrode welding with welding current modulation was performed. The third part of the review is devoted to analysis of the works, dealing with theoretical study and mathematical modeling of the processes of heat-, mass- and electric transfer in arc plasma and welded metal in TIG welding by modulated current. Different approaches to theoretical study of the above-mentioned processes are described, as well as respective mathematical models, allowing for the conditions of nonconsumable electrode welding with low-frequency (up to 10 Hz) and high-frequency (above 10 kHz) pulse modulation of welding current. Results of numerical analysis of the distributed and integral characteristics of an argon arc with refractory cathode at pulse variation of current are given. It was performed on the base of models of a nonstationary arc with distributed and concentrated parameters. Results of computer modeling of thermal, hydrodynamic and electromagnetic processes in the welded metal (also at self-consistent accounting of the processes that proceed in arc plasma) were analyzed for the case of spot TIG welding with low-frequency pulse modulation of current. Presented are the analytical dependencies that describe the impact of the shape and parameters of welding current pulses on the characteristics of dynamic action of an arc with a refractory cathode on weld pool metal. 21 Ref., 4 Tables, 19 Figures.
Keywords: arc with refractory cathode, TIG welding, arc plasma, metal being welded, penetration, welding current modulation, pulse, frequency, duty cycle, amplitude, mathematical modeling
1. Boyi, Wu, Krivtsun, I.V. (2019) Processes of nonconsumable electrode welding with welding current modulation (Review). Part 1. Peculiarities of burning of nonstationary arcs with refractory cathode. The Paton Welding J., 11, 23-32. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2019.11.05
2. Boyi, Wu, Krivtsun, I.V. (2019) Processes of nonconsumable electrode welding with welding current modulation (Review). Part 2. Effects of arc impact on the metal being welded. The Paton Welding J., 12, 11-23. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2019.12.02
3. Yamaoto, T., Shimada, W., Gotoh, T. (1976) Characteristics of high frequency pulsed DC TIG welding process. Doc. IIW 212-628-76, 11-23.
4. Cook, G.E., Eassa, H.E.-D.E.H. (1985) The effect of high-frequency pulsing of a welding arc. IEEE Transact. on Industrial Application, 1A-21, 5, 1294-1299. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1985.349557
5. Sydorets, V.N., Krivtsun, I.V., Demchenko, V.F. et al. (2016) Calculation and experimental research of static and dynamic volt-ampere characteristics of argon arc with refractory cathode. The Paton Welding J., 2, 2-8. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.02.01
6. Kim, W.H., Na, S.J. (1998) Heat and fluid flow in pulsed current GTA weld pool. Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer., 41(21), 3213-3227. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(98)00052-0
7. Lee, S.Y., Na, S.J. (1996) A numerical analysis of a stationary gas tungsten welding arc considering various electrode angle. Weld. J., Res. Suppl., 269-279.
8. Kim, W.H., Fan, H.G., Na, S.J. (1997) A mathematical model of gas tungsten arc welding considering the cathode and the free surface. Metall. Transact., 28B, 679-686. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11663-997-0042-2
9. Wu, C.S., Zheng, W., Wu, L. (1999) Modelling the transient behaviour of pulsed current tungsten-inert-gas weld pools. Modelling and Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng., 7(1), 15-23. https://doi.org/10.1088/0965-0393/7/1/002
10. Wu, C.S. (2008) Welding heat process and pool geometry. Beijing, China Machine Press, 102-104.
11. Traidia, A., Roger, F., Guyot, E. (2010) Optimal parameters for pulsed gas tungsten arc welding in partially and fully penetrated weld pools. Int. J. of Thermal Sci., 49, 1197-1208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2010.01.021
12. Traidia, A., Roger, F. (2011) Numerical and experimental study of arc and weld pool behaviour for pulsed current GTA welding. Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54, 2163-2179. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2010.12.005
13. Yang, M., Qi, B., Cong, B. et al. (2013) Study on electromagnetic force in arc plasma with UHFP-GTAW of Ti-6Al-4V. IEEE Transact. on Plasma Sci., 41(9), 2561-2568. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPS.2013.2274810
14. Krivtsun, I.V., Krikent, I.V., Demchenko, V.F. (2013) Modelling of dynamic characteristics of a pulsed arc with refractory cathode. The Paton Welding J., 7, 13-23.
15. Krikent, I.V., Krivtsun, I.V., Demchenko, V.F. (2012) Modelling of processes of heat-, mass- and electric transfer in column and anode region of arc with refractory cathode. Ibid., 3, 2-6.
16. Yang, M., Yang, Z., Cong, B. et al. (2014) A study on the surface depression of the molten pool with pulsed welding. Welding J., Res. Suppl., 93(8), 312-319.
17. Yang, M., Yang, Z., Qi, B. (2015) The effect of pulsed frequency on the plasma jet force with ultra high frequency pulsed arc welding. IIW, 8, 875-882. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40194-015-0261-0
18. Sydorets, V.N., Pentegov, I.V. (2013) Deterministic chaos in nonlinear circuits with electric arc. Kiev, IAW [in Russian].
19. Sokolov, O.I., Gladkov, E.A. (1977) Dynamic characteristics of free and constricted welding arcs of direct current with nonconsumable electrode. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 4, 3-5 [in Russian].
20. Trofimov, N.M., Sinitsky, R.V. (1967) Dynamic characteristics of pulsed arc in argon arc welding. Ibid., 8, 18-19 [in Russian].
21. Demchenko, V.F., Boi, U., Krivtsun, I.V., Shuba, I.V. (2017) Effective values of electrodynamic characteristics of the process of nonconsumable electrode welding with pulse modulation of arc current. The Paton Welding J., 8, 2-11. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2017.08.01