TPWJ, 2020, #8, 34-40 pages
Pequliarities of formation of dissimilar nickel-base alloy joints in friction welding
I.V. Ziakhor, M.S. Zavertannyi, A.M. Levchuk and L.M. Kapitanchuk
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
When creating new designs of aircraft gas turbine engines, the urgent task is to replace the mechanical fasteners of
structural elements from high-temperature nickel alloys with welded joints. The paper presents the results of research
on the processes of heating, deformation and formation of the structure of joints during friction welding (FW) of dissimilar
alloys — granular alloy EP741NP with wrought alloy EI698VD and casting alloy VZhL12U. The minimum
values of pressure, at which upsetting is provided (deformation of billets in macrovolumes) are determined. The critical
value of pressure, exceeding which leads to a change in the nature of the upsetting process in friction welding of
EP741NP and VZhL12U alloys — from uniform shortening of the billets to stepwise. The range of changes in technological
parameters of friction welding process, which ensures formation of defect-free welded joints, is determined.
Microhardness studies have shown absence of areas with reduced microhardness in the zone of the joint of EP741NP
and VZhL12U alloys. 22 Ref., 2 Tables, 11 Figures.
friction welding, high-temperature nickel-base alloys, deformation, γ′-phase
1. Furrer, D., Fecht, H. (1999) Ni-based superalloys for turbine Discs. JOM, 1, 14-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11837-999-0005-y
2. Das, N. (2010) Advances in nickel-based cast superalloys. Transact. of the Indian Institute of Metals, 63, 2-3, 265-274. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12666-010-0036-7
3. Romanov, V.V., Koval, V.A. (2020) Application of new materials in conversion of ship and aviation GTE into stationary GTI. Eastern-European J. of Enterprise Technologies, 3, 4-7 [in Russian].
4. Maslenkov, S.B. (2001) Technology of producing of permanent joint in manufacture of gas turbine engines. Moscow, Nauka i Tekhnologii [in Russian].
5. Ospennikova, O.G., Lukin, V.I., Afanasiev-Khodykin, A.N., Galushka, I.A. (2018) Manufacture of «disk» type structure of dissimilar material combination (Review). Trudy VIAM, 10, 10- 16. [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.18577/2307-6046-2018-0-10-10-16
6. Magerramova, L.A. (2011) Application of bimetal blisk, manufactured by HIP method from granulated and cast nickel superalloys to improve reliability and service life of gas turbines. Vestnik UGATU, 15, 4,44, 33-38 [in Russian].
7. Ospennikova, O.G. (2012) Strategy of development of heat-resistant alloys and steels of special purpose, protective and thermal-barrier coatings. Aviats. Materialy i Tekhnologii, 5, 19-36 [in Russian].
8. Shmotin, Yu.N., Starkov, R.Yu., Danilov, D.V. et al. (2012) New materials for advanced engine of PJSC NPO Saturn. Ibid., 2, 6-8 [in Russian].
9. Lukin, V.I., Kovalchuk, V.G., Golev, E.V. et al. (2016) Electron beam welding of high-strength cast nickel alloy VZh172L. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 5, 44-49 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1080/09507116.2016.1263464
10. Yushchenko, K.A., Zadery, V.A., Zvyagintseva, A.V. et al. (2008) Sensitivity to cracking and structural changes in EBW of single crystals of heat-resistant nickel alloys. The Paton Welding J., 2, 6-13.
11. Rylnikov, V.S., Afanasiev-Khodykin, A.N., Timofeeva, O.B. (2013) Features of technology of diffusion brazing of heat-resistant alloy EP975 and cast single-crystal intermetallic alloy VKNA-4U for blisk structure. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 7, 19-25 [in Russian].
12. Rylnikov, V.S., Afanasiev-Khodykin, A.N., Galushka, I.A. (2013) Technology of brazing of «blisk» type structure from dissimilar alloys. Trudy VIAM, 10. URL: http://viam-works.ru/plugins/ content/journal/uploads/articles/pdf/251.pdf [in Russian].
13. Li, W., Vairis, A., Preuss, M., Ma, T. (2016) Linear and rotary friction welding review. Int. Materials Reviews, 61, 2, 71-100. DOI: 10.1080/09506608.2015.1109214. https://doi.org/10.1080/09506608.2015.1109214
14. Senkov, O.N., Mahaffey, D.W., Semiatin, S.L., Woodward, C. (2014) Inertia friction welding of dissimilar superalloys Mar-M247 and LSHR. Metallurgical and Materials Transact. A, 45A, 5545-5561. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11661-014-2512-x
15. Ola, O.T., Ojo, O.A., Wanjara, P., Chaturvedi, M.C. (2011) Analysis of microstructural changes induced by linear friction welding in a nickel-base superalloy. Ibid., 42A, 3761- 3777. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11661-011-0774-0
16. Lukin, V.I., Samorukov, M.L. (2017) Peculiarities of formation of structure of heat-resistant wrought alloy VZh175 welded joints, produced by rotary friction welding. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 6, 25-33 [in Russian].
17. Bychkov, V.M., Selivanov, A.S., Medvedev, A.Yu. et al. (2012) Investigation of weldability of heat-resistant nickel alloy EP742 by linear friction welding method. Vestnik UGATU, 16, 7, 52, 112-116 [in Russian].
18. Lukin, V.I., Kovalchuk, V.G., Samorukov, M.L. et al. (2010) Peculiarities of friction welding technology of joints from VKNA-25 and EP975 alloys. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 5, 28-33 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1080/09507116.2011.581357
19. Sorokin, L.I. (2005) Formation of hot cracks in welding of heat-resistant nickel alloys (Review). Ibid., 7, 29-33 [in Russian].
20. Lebedev, V.K., Chernenko, I.A., Villya, V.I. (1987) Friction welding: Refer. Book. Leningrad, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
21. Vaulin, D.D., Eremenko, V.I., Vlasova, O.N. et al. (2006) Technological features of the manufacture of stamped semi-finished products from heat-resistant nickel alloys. In: Perspective technologies for light and special alloys. Moscow, FIZMATLIT, 294-301 [in Russian].
22. Bondarev, B.I., Fatkullin, O.Kh., Eremenko, V,N. et al. (1999) Development of heat-resistant nickel alloys for gas turbine discs. Tekhnologiya Lyogkikh Splavov, 3, 49-53 [in Russian].
Advertising in this issue: