TPWJ, 2021, #3, 32-35 pages
Improvement of the surfacing technology for large-sized backup rolls of hot rolling mills
L.K. Leshchinskyi, V.M. Matviyenko, V.P. Ivanov, K.K. Stepnov and E.I. Vozyanov
Azov State Technical University
7 Universytetska Str., 87555, Mariupol, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
It is shown that when surfacing large-sized backup rolls of hot rolling mills made of 90KhF steel, the limited weldability
of steel leads to the need to select the thermal mode of surfacing that ensures the required performance of the
deposited layer. The choice of materials and technology of deposition of the transition zone from the base metal to the
working layer determines appearance of hardness dips and formation of a «soft interlayer», which leads to occurrence
of spalling. Elimination of such dips depends on the choice of the deposition mode of each of the layers, in accordance
with the composition and size of the electrodes used. It is shown that application of 1.0 mm thick 08kp, 30KhGSA,
25Kh5FMS strip electrode for surfacing makes it possible to obtain a smooth (without dips and bursts) change in hardness
by the height of the multilayer composition, which contributes to an increase in spalling resistance when the height
of the deposited layer decreases during the operation of the roll. The high efficiency of the surfaced backup rolls was
confirmed during industrial development of the surfacing technology of the rolls and their long-term operation in the
hot rolling mill. The developed and implemented route scheme for movement of the deposited and new backup rolls
(the share of deposited rolls reached 30 %) in the roughing group of stands of mill 2000 of the Cherepovets Metallurgical
Plant made it possible to ensure the operating time of surfaced rolls commensurate with that of new rolls as to the
tonnage of rolled products. 12 Ref., 4 Tables, 2 Figures.
backup rolls, 90KhF steel, surfacing, underlayer, transition zone, composition of layers, hardness,
spalling of the surfaced layer, strip electrode, surfacing mode, hot rolling mill, roughing stand, roll route, operating
time of surfaced rolls
1. Ryabtsev, I.A., Kondratiev, I.A., Vasiliev, V.G. et al. (2010)
Investigation of structure and service properties of deposited
metal for reconditioning and strengthening of rolling mill
rolls. The Paton Welding J., 7, 12‒15.
2. Balakleets, I.A., Filippov, V.S., Shebanits, E.N. et al. (2012)
Current trends in the manufacture and operation of rolls.
Metall i Lityo Ukrainy, 2, 50–54 [in Russian].
3. Gostev, K.A. (2008) Modern rolls at rolling mills 2000 of Cherepovetsky and Magnitogorsky Iron and Steel Works. Меtаllurg, 9, 52-55 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11015-009-9088-5
4. Danilov, L.I., Skorokhvatov, N.B., Sobolev, V.F. et al. (2004)
Increase of the service life of the back-up rolls of a 2000 hot
strip mill at JSC «Severstal». Chyornaya Metallurgiya, 8,
68–69 [in Russian].
5. Samotugin, S.S., Leshchinskiy, L.K., Mazur, V.А., Samotugina,
Yu.S. (2013) Tool materials. Properties and hardening.
Mariupol, PSTU [in Russian].
6. Gulakov, S.V., Nosovskiy, B.I. (2005) Surfacing of working
layer with the regulated distribution of properties. Mariupol,
PSTU [in Russian].
7. Leshchinskiy, L.K., Gulakov, S.V., Nosovskiy, B.I., Stepnov,
K.K. (1977) Causes of fracture of the deposited working layer
of back-up rolls. Avtomatich. Svarka, 3, 19–23 [in Russian].
8. Kostin, V.A. (2012) Mathematical formulation of carbon
equivalent as a criterion for evaluation of steel weldability.
The Paton Welding J., 8, 11‒16.
9. Leshchinsky, L.K., Samotugin, S.S., Pirch, I.I., Komar, V.I.
(1990) Plasma surface hardening. Kiev, Теkhnika [in Russian].
10. Ryabtsev, I.A., Babinets, A.A., Gordan, G.N. et al. (2013)
Structure of multilayer samples, simulating surfaced tools for
hot deforming of metals. The Paton Welding J., 9, 41–45.
11. Gajvoronsky, A.A., Poznyakov, V.D., Markashova L.I. et al.
(2012) Influence of deposited metal composition on structure
and mechanical properties of the reconditioned railway
wheels. Ibid., 8, 16‒22.
12. Leshchinsky, L.K., Ivanov, V.P., Маslov, А.А. (1997)
Strip electrode for hardfacing. Pat. 2087589 RU, Int. Cl.
В23K020/227 [in Russian].
Advertising in this issue: