TPWJ, 2021, #3, 36-42 pages
Investigation of structure, mechanical and thermophysical properties of electron beam modified welds on copper parts of lances
V.M. Nesterenkov1, V.I. Zagornikov1, Yu.V. Orsa1, S.D. Zabolotnyi2 and A.S. Belyaev2
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
V.M. Bakul Institute for Superhard Materials of the NAS of Ukraine
2, Avtozavodska Str., 04074, Kiev, Ukraine. Е-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The study of real operating conditions of the lance for oxygen blasting shows that in its head part, located near reaction
zones of the converter, high thermal stresses arise caused by nonuniform heating of different parts of the unit. The
nozzles of the head are intensively cooled by water and oxygen, and the tip of the lance, on the contrary, is heated by
thermal radiation of a liquid metal pool. Namely, thermal stresses along with mechanical loads (reaction of return effect
from oxygen jets flowing from the nozzles) cause a premature destruction of the welds joining the lance nozzles with its
tip. The need in developing electron beam welding of components of copper lances is predetermined by disadvantages
of using traditional method of their welding — argon-arc method, which does not provide satisfactory properties of
welded joints and their stability during operation of a product. The use of electron beam welding in the manufacture
of lance heads for oxygen blasting allows increasing their service characteristics by alloying welding pool with the
elements, having a deoxidizing effect on a liquid copper. At the same time, in order to increase the service life of lance
heads, it is necessary to reduce the level of thermal stresses in them. The latter becomes possible if in terms of thermal
conductivity the weld metal is as close as possible to the base metal. The paper presents the results of mechanical
tests of electron beam welded joints produced on M1 copper using different alloying inserts. On the basis of studies
of microstructure and character of fractures of the modified electron beam welds, the influence of alloying inserts on
their operational properties was established. Together with the specialists from the ISM of the NASU, a procedure
for conducting investigations on thermal conductivity of welded joints was developed and measurements of thermal
conductivity coefficients for the joints produced on M1 copper by AAW and EBW methods using alloying inserts was
performed. Computer simulation of the temperature field arising in the areas of welded joints in the conditions of operation
of copper lances was also performed. 12 Ref., 1 Table, 8 Figures.
electron beam welding, weld modification using alloying inserts, metallographic and factographic
examinations, thermal conductivity, coefficient, porosity
1. Nazarenko, O.K., Kajdalov, A.A., Kovbasenko, S.N. et al.
(1987) Electron beam welding. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in
2. Agarkov, V.Ya., Trofi mova, K.G. (1983) Porosity of welds in
electron beam welding of copper. In: Technology, organization
of labour, production and monitoring. Ser.: Tekhnologiya,
Organizatsiya i Mekhanizatsiya Mekhanosborochnogo i Svarochnogo
Proizvodstva, 12, 1–4 [in Russian].
3. Nazarenko, O.K., Agarkov, V.Ya., Ikonnikov, V.I. (1986) Influence
of method of edge preparation on pore formation in
weld during electron beam welding. Avtomatich. Svarka, 2,
21‒25 [in Russian].
4. Agarkov, V.Ya. (1982) Porosity in electron beam welds (Review).
Ibid., 2, 63–68 [in Russian].
5. Ilyushenko, V.M., Lukyanchenko, E.P. (2013) Welding and
surfacing of copper and alloys on its base. Kiev, IAW [in
6. Zarechensky, A.V., Agarkov, V.Ya., Kolechko, A.A. et al.
(1980) Electron beam welding of oxygen converter lance
head. Avtomatich. Svarka, 10, 68–69 [in Russian].
7. Stummer, M., Stütz, M., Aumayr, A., Enzinger, N. (2018) Electron beam welding of copper using plasma spraying for filler metal deposition. Welding in the World, 62, 1341-1350. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40194-018-0637-z
8. Enzinger, N., Loidolt, P., Wiednig, C. et al. (2017) Electron beam welding of thick-walled copper components. Sci. and Technol. of Welding and Joining, 22, 2, 127-132. https://doi.org/10.1080/13621718.2016.1204516
9. Kanigalpula, P.K.C., Jaypuria, S., Pratihar, D.K., Jha, M.N. (2018) Experimental investigations, input-output modeling, and optimization of spiking phenomenon in electron beam welding of ETP copper plates. Measurement, 129, 302-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2018.07.040
10. Kanigalpula, P.K.C., Chatterjee, A., Pratihar, D.K. et al. (2015) Eff ects of electron beam welding on microstructure, microhardness, and electrical conductivity of Cu-Cr-Zr alloy plates. J. of Mater. Eng. and Performance, 24, 4681-4690. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11665-015-1790-9
11. Volkov, D.P., Korablev, V.A., Zarichnyak, Yu.P. (2006) Study
guides for laboratory works on course «Thermophysical properties
of substances». St.-Petersburg, GU ITMO [in Russian].
12. (1986) Theory of welding processes. Ed. by V.V. Frolov. Moscow,
Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
Advertising in this issue: