The Paton Welding Journal, 2021, #3, 43-48 pages
High-efficient sources for arc welding on the base of capacitive energy storage systems
O.E. Korotynskyi, M.I. Skopyuk and I.V. Vertetska
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
A new class of high-efficient arc welding equipment is proposed, which is based on wide application of capacitive energy
storage systems, in which high-capacity capacitors with a double electric layer are used as such storages. The paper
is a study of the structure of sources, which are based on switching-modulation conversion of welding current. Procedures
of signal conversion in the proposed sources, using the charge transfer method are analyzed in detail. Analysis of
dynamic characteristics of this type of sources was performed, and basic equations were derived, which characterize
different types of capacitive welding current converters. 13 Ref., 1 Table, 4 Figures.
arc welding, capacitive energy storage system, double electric layer capacitor, charge transfer method,
topological structures of the sources, step-down type converter
1. Lebedev, V.K. (1995) Trends of development of power sources
for arc welding. Avtomatich. Svarka, 5, 3–6 [in Russian].
2. Pentegov, I.V., Rymar, S.V., Zhernosekov, A.M., Sidorets,
V.N. (2012) Electromagnetic compatibility of power sources
of welding arc. Elektrotekhnika i Elektromechanika, 3, 34–38
3. Borisov, D.A. (2010) Dynamic processes in power sources for
welding at high-frequency alternating current welding: Syn.
of Thesis for Cand. of Tech. Sci. Degree. Saratov [in Russian].
4. Paton, B.E., Korotynsky, O.E., Skopyuk, M.I., Drachenko,
M.P. (2009) Hybrid device for conversion of dc energy at input
to ac energy at output. Ukraine Pat. 41218 [in Ukrainian].
5. Rudyk, S.D., Turchaninov, V.E., Florentsev, S.N. (1999)
High-power single-step converter of dc voltage with «soft»
commutation of power key. Elektrotekhnika, 4, 55–58 [in
6. Rudyk, S.D., Turchaninov, V.E., Florentsev, S.N. (1998) Prospective
welding current sources. Ibid., 7, 8–13 [in Russian].
7. Burlaka, V.V., Gulikov, V.V. (2012) Three-phase inverter
power source with direct conversion and increased power factor.
The Paton Welding J., 7, 35‒37.
8. Korotynsky, A.E. (2007) High-efficient power sources for arc
welding based on inductance-capacitance converters: Syn. of
Thesis for Dr. of Tech. Sci. Degree. Kiev [in Russian].
9. Lebedev, V.K., Korotynsky, A.E. (1994) Ac arc in the circuit
with inductance and capacitance connected in series. Avtomatich.
Svarka, 12, 47–48 [in Russian].
10. Milyakh, A.N., Volkov, I.V. (1974) Constant current systems
based on inductance-capacitance converters. Kiev, Naukova
Dumka [in Russian].
11. Korotynsky, A.E. (1999) Peculiarities of operation of high
frequency welding inverters on the basis of an artificial long
line. Avtomatich. Svarka, 1, 76–77.
12. Mark Gebbia (2013) Dual nature of supercapacitors. Elektronnye
Komponenty, 6, 104–107.
13. Korotynsky, A.E., Drachenko, N.P., Shapka, V.A. (2014) Peculiarities of application of supercapacitors in devices for pulse welding technologies. The Paton Welding J., 9, 34-38. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2014.09.05
14. Korotynsky, A.E. (2002) State-of-the-art, tendencies and
prospects of development of high-frequency welding converters
(Review). Ibid., 7, 44‒50.
15. Paton, B.E., Dudko, D.A., Korotynsky, A.E., Kisterskaya,
L.D. Autonomous device for arc welding. Ukraine Pat. 23804
А. Publ. 31.08.98 [in Russian].
16. Pentegov, I.V. (1982) Fundamentals of theory of charging
circuits of capacitive energy storage systems. Kiev, Naukova
Dumka [in Russian].