The Paton Welding Journal, 2021, #11, 22-28 pages
Comparison of the processes of electroslag welding at power connection by mono- and bifilar circuits
yu.M. lankin, V.G. Soloviov, V.G. Tyukalov, I.yu. Romanova
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Electroslag welding (ESW) with wire electrodes with a bifilar circuit of power connection is not applied now. There is every
reason to believe that such a connection circuit has even more advantages over the monofilar ESW. Therefore, additional special
investigations of the process of bifilar ESW are required. A comparison is given of the process of electroslag welding at
power connection by the monofilar circuit and by the bifilar circuit with equalizing wire and doubling of secondary voltage.
The results of comparison of both the ESW circuits by energy consumption are given; regularities of heat evolution in the slag
pool at the change of its geometrical parameters, coordinates of the points and depth of immersion of the electrodes, value of
voltage applied to the electrodes and electrode feed rate were studied.
electroslag welding, bifilar circuit, slag pool, metal pool, electric conductivity
1. Medovar, B.I., Stupak, L.M., Bojko, G.A. et al. (1976) Electroslag
furnaces. Ed. by B.E. Paton, B.I. Medovar. Kiev, Naukova
Dumka [in Russian].
2. Jing, Xie (2008) Structure advantage of a 5-t double pole series
circuit electroslag furnace. Heavy Casting and Forging,
5(3), 43–45 [in Chinese].
3. Xi-min, Zang, Tian-yu, Qiu, Xin, Deng et al. (2015) Industrial
test of a 6-m long bearing steel ingot by electroslag remelting
with drawing process. China Foundry, 12(3), 202–207.
4. Tezuka, M., Yamamoto, S., Takahashi, F. et al. (2014) Internal
quality of 2150 mm diameter ingot manufactured using
new 150-ton ESR furnace. In: Proc. of 19th Int. Forgemasters
Meeting (IFM). (Tokyo, Japan, 29.09–03.10), 90–94.
5. Son, I., Lee, W., Sim, Kw. et al. (2014) Installation of 150-ton
new ESR facility and production of 120-ton ESR ingot for
12Cr HIP rotor forgings. Ibid., 333–337.
6. Kubin, M., Scheriau, A., Knabl, M. et al. (2013) Operational experience of large sized ESR plants and attainable quality of ESR ingots with diameter of up to 2600 mm. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Liquid Metal Processing & Casting (LMPC). Austin (Texas, USA), 22-25 September, pp. 57-64. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-48102-9_8
7. Lankin, Yu.N., Moskalenko, A.A., Tyukalov, V.G. et al.
(2008) Application of electroslag welding in construction and
in repair of metallurgical assemblies. Svarshchik, 1, 6–9 [in
8. Gukhman, A.A. (1973) Introduction to similarity theory. 2nd
Ed. Moscow, Vysshaya Shkola [in Russian].
9. Sorokin, V.G., Volosnikova, A.V., Vyatkin, S.S. et al. (1989)
Grades of steels and alloys. Ed. by V.G. Sorokin. Moscow,
Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
Advertising in this issue: