The Paton Welding Journal, 2022, #6, 22-28 pages
Evaluation of load bearing capacity of cylindrical shell of above-ground vertical steel welded tank for oil storage after repair
A. Barvinko, Y. Barvinko, A. Yashnik, O. Kostenevich
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
When above-ground steel tanks are repaired, certain improper techniques used during welding of individual sheets into the
tank shell may cause depressions to form in the shell surface. Such deviations in the shell shape from the design geometry
create additional stresses. In this study basing on result of computer calculation of tank with D = 22.8 m and H = 12.0 m it is
proposed that if the shell imperfection is a rectangular depression of a near-cylindrical design geometry, it is possible to increase
the allowable stresses by 10 % by introducing a specific coefficient taking into consideration the effect of additional stresses.
vertical cylindrical above-ground tank, stressed state, rectangular depression, local shell deformation, welding, repair
1. Makhnenko, V.I., Barvinko, A.Yu., Barvinko, Yu.P., Tsiarkovsky, P. (2002) Estimation of stressed state of the wall of coiled vertical cylindrical tanks in weldin-in of insert plates. The Paton Welding J., 5, 2-6.
2. Šapalas, A., Šaučiuvėnas, G., Rasiulis, K. et al. (2019) Behaviour of vertical cylindrical tank with local wall imperfections. J. of Civil Engineering and Management, 25(3), 287- 296. https://doi.org/10.3846/jcem.2019.9629
3. Liagova, A.A, Samigullin, G.H. (2017) Evaluation of stressstrain state of steel cylindrical tank with dent defect. Inter. J. of Applied Engineering Research, 5, 761-764.
4. EN 1990: Eurocode - Basis of structural design.
5. EN 14015: Specification for the design and manufacture of site built, vertical, cylindrical, flat-bottomed, above ground, welded, steel tanks for the storage of liquids at ambient temperature and above. CEN/TC 265. Secretariat, BSI, (2017- 01), 343.
6. API 650: Welded tanks for oil storage 13th edition. API, March 2020.
7. API 653: Tank inspection, repair, alteration, and reconstruction. Fifth Edition. API, (November 2014).
8. Maraveas, C., Georgios A. Balokas, K. Tsavdaridis (2015) Numerical evaluation on shell buckling of empty thin-walled steel tanks under wind load according to current American and European design codes. Thin-Walled Struct., 95, 152- 160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2015.07.007
9. Mahshid Rastgar, Hossein Showkati (2017) Field study and evaluation of buckling behaviour of steel tanks under geometric imperfections. J. of Applied Mechanical Engineering, 6 (3) (January 2017). https://doi.org/10.4172/2168-9873.1000268
10. Mahyar Maali, Abdulkadir Cuneyt Aydınl, Hossein Showkati et al. (2018) Longitudinal imperfections on thin walled cylindrical shells. J. Civil Environ Eng., 8:2. https://doi.org/10.4172/2165-784X.1000309
11. Rasiulis, K., Gurkšnys, K. (2010) Analyses of the stress intensity of the cylindrical tank wall at the place of the geometrical defect. J. of Civil Engineering and Management, 16(2), 209-215. https://doi.org/10.3846/jcem.2010.23
12. Rasiulis K., Samofalov, M., Šapalas, A. (2006) Application of the non-linear Fe models to estimate effect of soft defects on thin walls of steel cylindrical tanks. J. of Civil Engineering and Management, 12(2), 169-179. https://doi.org/10.3846/13923730.2006.9636389
13. Romanenko K., Samofalov M., Šapalas A., Aliphanov L.A. (2004) Linear and physically non-linear stress state analysis of local shape defects on steel cylindrical tank walls by finite element method. Lithuania. Mechanika, (2) 5-13.
14. EEMUA 159: Above ground flat bottomed storage tanks: A guide to inspection maintenance and repair. Publ. 159, Ed. 5, (2017).
15. EN 1993-4-2: Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures. Pt 4-2: Tanks.
16. Barvinko, A.Yu., Gotsulyak, E.A. (2003) Determination of admissible deviation of inserts in replacement of an assembly joint in the wall of coiled tanks. The Paton Welding J., 3, 27-31.
17. EN 1993-1-6: Eurocode 3. Design of steel structures. Pt 1-6: Strength and Stability of Shell Structures.
18. Krysko, A.A. (2016) Geometric and computer modeling of the exploited structures of thin-walled shells of engineering structures, taking into account the imperfections of the geometric shape. Donbass National Academy of Civil Engineering and Architecture, PhD thesis (2016) 191.
19. Biletsksy, S.M., Golynko, V.M. (1983) Industrial production of outsized welded sheet structures. Kyiv, Naukova Dumka.