«Автоматическая сварка», 2013, № 10-11, с. 107-112
MECHANICAL BEHAVIOR AND FAILURE OF SANDWICH STRUCTURES
School of Engineering, DemocritusUniversity of Thrace. GR-671 00 Xanthi, Greece. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The failure behavior of composite sandwich beams under three- and four-point bending was studied. The beams were made of unidirectional carbon/epoxy facings and various core materials including PVC closed-cell foams, a polyurethane foam and an aluminum honeycomb. Various failure modes including facing wrinkling, indentation failure and core failure were observed and compared with analytical predictions. It was established that the initiation, propagation and interaction of failure modes depend on the type of loading, constituent material properties and geometrical dimensions. 11 Ref., 2 Tables, 4 Figures.
investigation of failure behavior, three-point bending, sandwich beams, carbon-epoxy facing, various core materials, strength-to-weight ratio
1. Daniel, I.M., Gdoutos, E.E., Wang, K.-A. et al. (2002) Failure modes of composite sandwich beams. Int. J. Damage Mech, 11, 309-334.
2. Gdoutos, E.E., Daniel, I.M., Wang, K.-A. (2002) Indentation failure in composite sandwich structures. Exp Mech, 42, 426-431.
3. Daniel, I.M., Gdoutos, E.E., Wang, K.-A. (2002) Failure of composite sandwich beams. Adv. Com. Letters, 11, 49-57.
4. Abot, J.L., Daniel, I.M., Gdoutos, E.E. (2002) Contact law for composite sandwich beams. Sandwich Struct. & Mater. 4, 157-173.
5. Gdoutos, E.E., Daniel, I.M., Wang, K.-A. (2003) Compression facing wrinkling of composite sandwich structures. Mech. Mater., 35, 511-522.
6. Gdoutos, E.E., Daniel, I.M., Wang, K.-A. (2000) Failure of cellular foams under multiaxial loading. Comps. Part A, 33, 163-176.
7. Heath, W.G. (1969) Sandwich construction. Pt 2: The optimum design of flat sandwich panels. Aircraft Engng, 32, 230-235.
8. Hoff, N.J., Mautner, S.E. (1945) The buckling of sandwich-type panels. J. Aerosp. Sci., 12, 285-297.
9. Tsai, S.W., Wu, E.M. (1971) A general theory of strength for anisotropic materials. J. Comp. Mat., 5, 58-80.
10. Hetenyi, M. (1946) Beams on Elastic Foundation. The University of Michigan Press.
11. Soden, P.D. (1996) Indentation of composite sandwich beams. J. Strain Anal., 31, 353-360.