“The Paton Welding Journal” #08_2023 will be freely distributed from 11 to 15 September during the exhibition SCHWEISSEN & SCHNEIDEN 2023, Messe Essen, Norbertstrasse 2, Essen, Germany at the stand of the Paton Welding Institute: Hall 8 Stand 8B29.1.
You can also order this issue of the Journal in electronic form for free.
Send applications to E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contents of the issue
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
Abstract The study was dedicated to investigation of the processes occurring in DC flux arc brazing of overlap joints between thin-sheet aluminium and galvanised steel. Aluminium AD1, galvanised steel 08Yu, and reactive flux of the KF-AlF3-K2SiF6-KZnF3 system were used in the experiments. It was shown that reactive flux of the K-Al-SiF system used for brazing without passage of the filler alloy through arc gap improves conditions of formation of the overlap joints (wetting, spreading and filling of capillary gaps by the aluminium-silicon filler alloy) between aluminium and galvanised steel due to rapid destruction of the oxide film and formation of layers of low-melting point metal melts in the brazing location due to reactions of the flux with the materials being brazed. It was found that in brazing under conditions of arc heating the rate of spreading of the filler alloy on galvanised steel is approximately 3 times as high as on aluminium. The non-equilibrium contact angle on galvanised steel is 28-33°, and on aluminium Е 8-10°. The data are given on structure of the brazed joints, composition of individual phases and chemical heterogeneity of the joints. According to the X-ray spectral microanalysis results, the 2-5 mm thick variable-composition Al-Fe-Si system transition layer containing small amounts of manganese (from steel) and zinc (from coating) forms at the contact boundary with steel. It was shown that the brazed joints between alloy AD1 and galvanised steel 08Yu produced by using the aluminium-silicon filler alloy have strength equal to that of the aluminium alloy. The overlap joints tolerate bending to an angle of 180°, while in multiple inflections (5-6 times) fracture occurs in aluminium. 23 Ref., 2 Tables, 5 Figures.
References 1. Kuroda, M., Uenishi, A., Yoshida, H. et al. (2006) Ductility of interstitial-free steel under high strain rate tension: Experiments and macroscopic modeling with a physically-based consideration. Int. J. Solids and Struct., 43, 4465-4483.
2. Mondolfo, L.F. (1979) Structure and properties of aluminium alloys. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
3. (1997) Constitutional diagrams of binary metal systems: Refer. Book. Vol. 2. Ed. by N.P. Lyakishev. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
4. Han, J.H., Ahn, J.P., Shin, M.C. (2003) Effect of interlayer thickness on shear deformation behavior of AA5083 aluminum alloy/SS41 steel plates manufactured by explosive welding. J. Mat. Sci., 38, 13-18.
5. Fukumoto, S., Tsubakino, H., Okita, K. et al. (1999) Friction welding process of 5052 aluminium alloy to 304 stainless steel. Mat. Sci. and Techn., 15, 1080-1086.
6. Ryabov, V.R., Rabkin, D.M. (1984) Welding of dissimilar metals and alloys. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
7. Bruckner, J. (2003) Arc joining of steel with aluminium. The Paton Welding J., 10/11, 180-182.
8. Mathieu, A., Shabadi, R., Deschamps, A. et al. (2007) Dissimilar material joining using laser (aluminum to steel using zinc-based filler wire). Optics & Laser Technology, 39(April), 652-661.
9. Hui-Chi Chen, Pinkerton, A.J., Lin Li et al. (2011) Gap-free fibre laser welding of Zn-coated steel on Al alloy for light-weight automotive applications. Mater. and Design, 32, 495-504.
10. Zhanga, H.T., Feng, J.C., He, P. et al. (2009) The arc characteristics and metal transfer behaviour of cold metal transfer and its use in joining aluminium to zinc-coated steel. Mater. Sci. and Eng. A, 499, 111-113.
11. Zhang, H.T., Feng, J.C., He, P. et al. (2007) Interfacial microstructure and mechanical properties of aluminium-zinc-coated steel joints made by a modified metal inert gas welding-brazing process. Materials Characterization, 58, 588-592.
12. Kim, Y., Park, K., Kim, S. et al. (2012) Dissimilar metal joining of steel to aluminum using the arc heat source. Mater. Sci. Forum, 706-712, 2974-2979.
13. Mathieu, A., Pontevicci, S., Viala, J.-C. et al. (2006) Laser brazing of a steel/aluminium assembly with hot filler wire (88 % Al, 12 % Si). Mater. Sci. and Eng. A, 435/436, 19-28.
14. Taichi, M., Kazuhiro, N., Tong, H. et al. (2003) Dissimilar metal joining of aluminum to steel by MIG arc brazing using flux cored wire. ISIJ Int., 43(10), 1596-1602.
15. Draugelates, U., Bouaifi, B., Helmich, A. et al. (2002) Plasma arc brazing: a low-energy joining technique for sheet metal. Welding J., 81(3), 38-42.
16. Siewert, T., Samardzic, I., Klaric, S. (2002) Application of an on-line weld monitoring system. In: Proc. of 1st Int. Conf. on Advanced Technologies for Developing Countries (Slavonski Brod, Croatia, Sept. 12-14, 2002), 1-6.
17. Eryomenko, V.N., Lesnik, N.D., Pestun, T.S. et al. (1971) Kinetics of aluminium spreading on iron. In: Physical chemistry of surface phenomena in melts. Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 203-206.
18. Eryomenko, V.N., Lesnik, N.D., Pestun, T.S. et al. (1972) About the kinetics of spreading of aluminium-silicon melts on iron. In: Wettability and surface properties of melts and solids. Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 30-41.
19. Khorunov, V.F., Sabadash, O.M., Andreiko, A.A. (1998) Investigation of fusibility and chemical interaction in the K, Al, Si/F salt system fluxes for high-temperature brazing of aluminium. In: Proc. of Int. Conf. on Brazing, High Temperature Brazing and Diffusion Welding (Aachen, Germany, May, 1998), 200-202.
20. Sabadash, O.M., Khorunov, V.F. (2005) Materials and technology for flux brazing and soldering of aluminium and aluminium to steel. The Paton Welding J., 8, 62-67.
21. Khorunov, V.F., Sabadash, O.M. (2006) Reactive fluoride flux for brazing of aluminium and dissimilar joints. Adgeziya Rasplavov i Pajka Materialov, Issue 39, 68-75.
22. Sabadash, O.M., Khorunov, V.F. (2007) Reactive flux for brazing of aluminium. In: Proc. of 2nd Sci.-Techn. Seminar on Welding and Related Processes in Industry (17 April, 2007, Kiev). Kiev: Ekotekhnologiya, 48-49.
23. Bochvar, A.A., Sviderskaya, Z.N., Rytvin, N.I. et al. (1947) New casting alloys. Zinc silumins. Moscow: TsIIN TsM SSSR.