“The Paton Welding Journal” #08_2023 will be freely distributed from 11 to 15 September during the exhibition SCHWEISSEN & SCHNEIDEN 2023, Messe Essen, Norbertstrasse 2, Essen, Germany at the stand of the Paton Welding Institute: Hall 8 Stand 8B29.1.
You can also order this issue of the Journal in electronic form for free.
Send applications to E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contents of the issue
PREDICTION OF THERMODYNAMICAL PROPERTIES OF MELTS OF THE CaO-Al2O3 SYSTEM
I.A. GONCHAROV1, V.I. GALINICH1, D.D. MISHCHENKO1 and V.S. SUDAVTSOVA2
1E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU. 11 Bozhenko Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
2I.M. Frantsevich Institute of Problems of Materials Science, NASU. 3 Krzhizhanovsky Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: goncharov@.paton.kiev.ua
Abstract The expert evaluation of literature data was carried out and methods of calculation of thermodynamic properties of melts of the CaO-CaO-Al2O3 system in the whole concentration range were offered. Thermodynamic activities of aluminium oxide at 0.74 < < 1 were calculated from the coordinates of the liquidus line of constitution diagram of the system CaO-CaO-Al2O3, determined by different authors. Using calculation and experimental data on thermodynamic activity of CaO-Al2O3, the evaluation of thermodynamic activities of calcium oxide was carried out by integration of Gibbs-Duhem equation. It was established that they reveal great negative deviations from thermodynamic properties of perfect solutions. Basing on the established values of thermodynamic activity of calcium oxide, the liquidus line of constitution diagram of the system CaO-CaO-Al2O3 was plotted on the side of calcium oxide. The obtained values of activity of components and liquidus temperature of the system CaO-CaO-Al2O3 allow evaluating the thermodynamic properties of corresponding three- and four-component systems, predicting processes of interaction in the metal-slag-gaz system and creating new consumables for welding and electroslag remelting. 28 Ref., 2 Tables, 4 Figures.
1. Goncharov, I.A., Galinich, V.I., Mishchenko, D.D. et al. (2011) Prediction of thermodynamic properties of melts of MgO-CaO-Al2O3-CaC2-CaF2 system. The Paton Welding J., 10, 2-4.
2. Sudavtsova, V.S., Makara, V.A., Kudin, V.G. (2005) Thermodynamics of metallurgical and welding melts. Pt 3: Alloys based on nickel and tin, methods of modeling and prediction of thermodynamic properties. Kiev: Logos.
3. Shepherd, E.S., Rankin, G.A., Wright, F.E. (1909) The binary systems of alumina with silica, lime and magnesia. Amer. J. Sci., 28, 293-333.
4. Nurse, R.W., Welch, J.H., Majumdar, A.J. (1965) The CaO-CaO-Al2O3 system in a moisture-free atmosphere. Transact. of British Ceramic Soc., 64, 409-418.
5. Nurse, R.W., Welch, J.H., Majumdar, A.J. (1965) The 12CaOр7CaO-Al2O3 phase in the CaO-CaO-Al2O3 system. Ibid., 64, 323-382.
6. Filonenko, N.E., Lavrov, L.V. (1949) Hexaaluminate of calcium in CaO-CaO-Al2O3 systems. Doklady AN SSSR, 66, 673-676.
7. Filonenko, N.E., Lavrov, L.V. (1950) Conditions of equilibrium in CaO-Al2O3 angle of ternary system CaO-CaO-Al2O3-CaC2. Zhurnal Prikl. Khimii, 23, 1040-1046.
8. Wisnyi, L.G. (1955) The high alumina phases in the system lime-alumina: Syn. of Ph. D. Thesis. RutgertrsUniv.New Brunswick.
9. Roling, M., Pham, H.T. (1965) Phase diagrams of mixtures not reacting with molybdenum. Rev. Int. Hautes Temp. Refract., 2, 175-185.
10. King, E.G. (1955) Heat capacities at low temperatures and enthropies at 298.16 K of crystalline calcium and magnesium aluminates. J. Phys. Chem., 59, 218-219.
11. Bonnickson, K.R. (1955) High temperature heat contents of aluminates of calcium and magnesium. Ibid., 59, 220-221.
12. Gronov, E., Schwiette, H.E. (1933) The specific heats of CaO-CaO-Al2O3р3CaO-CaO-Al2O3, 2CaO-CaC2, 3CaO-CaC2 and 2CaO-CaO-Al2O3рCaC2 from 20 to 1500°C. Z. Anorg. Allg. Chemil, 216, 185-195.
13. Coughlin, J.P. (1956) Heats of formation of crystalline CaO-CaO-Al2O3, 12CaOр7CaO-Al2O3 and 3CaO-CaO-Al2O3. J. Chem. Soc., 78, 5479-5482.
14. Koehier, M.F., Barany, R., Kelley, K.K. (1961) Heats and free energies of formation of calcium, magnesium, sodium and lithium. U.S. Bureau of Mines Rep. of Invest., 5711. New York.
15. Geir, C.A., Kleppa, O.J., Mysen, B.O. et al. (1988) Enthalpies of formation of CaAl3O7 and CaAl12O19 (Hibonite) by high temperature, alkali borate solution calorimetry. Geochim. et Cosmochim. Acta, 52, 1729-1736.
16. Navrotsky, A., Peraudcau, G., McMillan, P.J. et al. (1982) A thermodynamical study of glasses and сrystals along the joints of silica-calcium aluminate and silica-sodium aluminate. Ibid., 46, 2039-2047.
17. Allibert, M., Chatillon, C., Jacob, K.T. et al. (1981) Mass-spectrometric and electrochemical studies of thermodynamic properties of liquid and solid phases in the system CaO-CaO-Al2O3. J. Amer. Ceramic Soc., 64(5), 307-314. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1151-2916.1981.tb09608.x
18. Zou, Y., Zou, J., Xu, Y. et al. (1982) Some aspects of the thermodynamics of melts. Acta Metall. Sinica, 18, 133-140.
19. Cameron, J., Gibbens, T.B., Taylor, J. (1966) Calcium sulphide solubilities and lime-alumina-silica system. J. Iron and Steel Inst., 204, 1223-1228.
20. Sharma, R.A., Richardson, F.D. (1961) Activities in lime-alumina melts. Ibid., 198, 386-390.
21. Edmunds, D.M., Taylor, J. (1972) Reaction CaO + 3C = CaC2 + CO and activity of lime in CaO-CaO-Al2O3-CaF2 system. Ibid., 210, 280-283.
22. Ohtani, M., Sanbongi, K. (1952) Activity of CaO in the slag of CaO-SiO2-CaO-Al2O3 system. Sci. Rep. Tohoku Univ., Series A, 59(4), 139-143.
23. Halstedt, B. (1993) Assessment of the CaO-Al2O3. J. Amer. Ceramic. Soc., 73(1), 15-23.
24. Eriksson, G., Pelton, A.D. (1993) Critical evaluation and optimization of the thermodynamic properties and phase diagrams of the CaO-CaO-Al2O3, CaO-Al2O3-CaC2, and CaO-CaO-Al2O3-CaC2 systems. Metall. Transact. B, 24, 807-816.
25. Mao, H., Selleby, M., Sundman, B. (2004) Re-evaluation of the liquid phases in the CaO-CaO-Al2O3 and MgO-CaO-Al2O3 systems. Computer Coupling of Phase Diagrams and Thermochemistry, 28, 307-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.calphad.2004.09.001
26. (2009) Handbook of chemistry and physics. 89 Ed. (Internet version 2009). Boca Ration: CRC PressЕ Taylor and Francis.
27. (1978) Physical-chemical properties of oxides: Refer. Book. Ed. by G.V. Samsonov. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
28. Rabinovich, V.A., Khavin, Z.Ya. (1979) Summary chemical reference book. Leningrad: Khimiya.