“The Paton Welding Journal” #08_2023 will be freely distributed from 11 to 15 September during the exhibition SCHWEISSEN & SCHNEIDEN 2023, Messe Essen, Norbertstrasse 2, Essen, Germany at the stand of the Paton Welding Institute: Hall 8 Stand 8B29.1.
You can also order this issue of the Journal in electronic form for free.
Send applications to E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contents of the issue
The Paton Welding Journal, 2015, #5-6, 55-58 pages
Application of friction stir welding method for repair and restoration of worn-out copper plates of mccb moulds
G.M. Grigorenko1, L.I. Adeeva1, A.Yu. Tunik1, M.A. Poleshchuk1, E.V. Zelenin1, V.I. Zelenin1, Yu.N. Nikityuk2 And V.A. Lukash3
1E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU. 11 Bozhenko Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
2Research and Production Company «VISP Ltd». 23 Moskovsky Ave., 04655, Kiev, Ukraine
3V.N. Bakul Institute for Superhard Materials, NASU. 2 Avtozavodskaya Str., 04074, Kiev, Ukraine
Abstract The advantages of friction stir welding (FSW) are well known from numerous publications. In this work it was proposed to apply FSW in restoration of sizes of copper plates of machines for continuous casting of billets (MCCB) moulds and for the further surface hardening with nickel or nickel alloys. The microstructure of characteristic zones of joints was studied. Application of FSW provides quality joints with sufficiently high mechanical properties of deposited layer. The structure of copper-copper and copper-nickel joints was studied. It was established that in formation of joints the mechanical stirring of metals plays a leading role, and their mutual diffusion affects them to a much lesser extent. Experimental investigations were laid as the basis for development of restoration technology of copper plates with nickel coating. 14 Ref., 10 Figures.
Keywords: friction stir welding, restoration of copper plates, layer deposition, copper, nickel, structure of joints, working tool
References 1. Thomas, W.M. Friction stir butt welding. Pat. 9125978.8 GB. Int. Cl. PCTrGB92. Publ. 01.12.91.
2. Vill, V.I. (1970) Friction welding of metals. Leningrad: Mashinostroenie.
3. Lebedev, V.K., Chernenko, I.A., Mikhalsky, R. et al. (1987) Friction welding: Refer. Book. Leningrad: Mashinostroenie.
4. Okamura, H., Aota, K., Ezumi, M. (2000) Friction stir welding of aluminum alloy and application to welded structure. J. Japan Institute of Light Metals, 50(4), 166-172. https://doi.org/10.2464/jilm.50.166
5. Arbegast, W.J. (2006) Friction stir welding. After a decade of development. Welding J., 85(3), 28-35.
6. Watanabe, H., Takayama, H., Yanagisawa, A. (2006) Joining of aluminum alloy to steel by friction stir welding. J. Materials Proc. Techn., 178, 342-349. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.04.117
7. Hirate, T., Oguri, T., Hagino, H. et al. (2007) Influence of friction stir welding parameters on grain size and formability in 5083 aluminum alloy. Materials Sci. and Eng. A, 456, 344-349. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2006.12.079
8. Lee, W.-B., Schmuecker, M., Mercardo, U.A. et al. (2006) Interfacial reaction in steel-aluminum joints made by friction stir welding. Scripta Mater., 55, 355-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scriptamat.2006.04.028
9. Kosta, A., Coelho, R.S., dos Santos, J. et al. (2000) Microstructure of friction stir welding of aluminium alloy to magnesium alloy. Ibid., 66, 953-956.
10. Kwon, Y.J., Shigematsu, I., Saito, N. (2008) Dissimilar friction stir welding between magnesium and aluminium alloys. Materials Letters, 62, 3827-3829. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2008.04.080
11. Xue, P., Ni, D.R., Wang, D. et al. (2011) Effect of friction stir welding parameters on the microstructure and mechanical properties of the dissimilar Al-Cu joints. Materials Sci. and Eng., 528, 4683-4689. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2011.02.067
12. Saeida, T. Abdollah-Zadehb, A., Sazgarib, B. (2010) Weldability and mechanical properties of dissimilar aluminum-copper lap joints made by friction stir welding. J. Alloys and Compounds, 490, 652-655. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2009.10.127
13. Makrushin, A.A., Kuklev, A.V., Ajzin, Yu.M. et al. (2005) Radial slab mould with slot channels and nickel coating of walls, 38-41. Moscow: Metallurgizdat.
14. Grigorenko, G.M., Zelenin, V.I., Kavunenko, P.M. et al. (2012) To problem of hardening of mould copper walls of MCCB. In: Rock cutting and metal-working tool: Technique, technology of its manufacturing and application. Issue 15, 548-552. Kiev: Logos.